IKEA Trådfri Gateway

Dear all,

some others and me suffer from frequent connection losses after reboot, see https://community.openhab.org/t/tradfri-binding-loses-connection-after-power-failure-gateway-reboot/47833/37, discussed as well here: https://github.com/eclipse/smarthome/issues/6065

Is someone able to give us a short comment? Is the issue resolved and just waiting to be part of the next milestone, or somewhere hidden in the ESH framework? We are lost… Thank you!

Dear all,
Is anyone else experiencing an issue with the latest gateway firmware? OH is no longer able to communicate with the gateway!
The Gateway “Thing” says:
OFFLINE - COMMUNICATION_ERROR

I tried restarting OH and the gateway to no avail. I had got used to restarting the gateway every now and then to restore communications but since the update to version 1.8.25 it stopped completely

@thecrater Yes, see here:

Same problem for me.

Did you try entering the security code? That fixed it for me.

Thanks @J-N-K that sort of worked for me. I had it configured in my tradfri.things file but have had to remove it and let OH discover it as a thing and then specify the code otherwise it would not work. Tried clearing the cache and re-entering the code but that did not seem to work.

Mine is totally screwed after the latest Ikea Firmware update.
I will have to reset the Gateway to fix it I guess, but in that operation I will reduce my number on devices from 28 to 4, just to keep track of what is ‘happening’.

The rest of the devices I will transfer to Conbee/deconz.

Pros
1 - Group actions operates all lights in perfect, instant synchronisation. (though http/REST API)
2 - Paired devices and setup can be backed up (and restored).
3 - Zigbee-net pairing remotes/groups with lights are done in the WEB app. No need to pair next to light.
4 - Ikea remote button events are catch-able for use in rules.
5 - No gateway connection issues.
6 - OH2 HUE binding interfaces easy to devices (but no native /groups control)
7 - OH2 deconz binding interfaces to sensors through Websocket. (No polling required)

Cons
1 - On 5 button remote, the < & > buttons does nothing, so the ‘manual backup’ cannot control color.
2 - Firmware updates are not transparent(, but possible)

I have also tried out the HUE bridge with Ikea lights and it works OK, but no pairing of remotes (other than direct remote-light for manual backup), and no possibility to back up paired devices.

We have a deconz binding for sensors and remote buttons?!

Are you asking or telling?
Have a missed a deconz binding perhaps?

I’m wondering why you don’t know, yes you missed that, but it is listed in PaperUI and also on the webpage’s addon page (it that is not still broken because of the new buildsystem).

I will check it out.
It says it is also using the HUE binding. Hope it can co-exist with the HUE binding I’m already using with my HUE gateway.

It’s not “using” the Hue binding, it complements it. It allows real-time interaction. The Hue binding only supports polling (because the Hue bridge only supports that).

But I think we are offtopic.

I’m experiencing issues with the tradfri binding for more than a year now.
Things got even worse for me since the update to 1.8.25
My Tradfri.things config is useless since then and it’s things have not been available at all since the software update. Ikea seems to be responsible for the enhanced challenges on top of the known ones.
Getting the auto-discovered things to work is not completly hopeless but is not at all stable, having like 2 communication-error-events a week appears about normal.
When this happens, 21 devices of my s.home are offline so yes, it is a major problem.

And there is no easy fix when it happens. This thread and others have a list of measures which sometimes work.

• click/unclick the stopwatch icon in paper-ui/config/things/tradfri
  • edit the thing there and do something accidential like change its name, reenter the security code or whatever, just enough to make the data appear new and trigger an internal reset
  • openhab-cli console , find the bundle number with bundle:list|grep DFRI , restart it. : repeat
  • uninstall/reinstall the addon
  • stop openhab2, clear the cache, restart it
  • power-cycle the tradfri gateway
  • reboot the raspi
  • force reinstall openhab2 package
    (the steps have been sorted in the order of severity, after doing one repeat all the steps above it.)

each of those measures has at one time or another triggered a tradfri.things renaissance. And failed on many other occasions.

I dream of a basic “stupid” addon, something with no discovery, something I configure with the IP and security code and it just uses them and does not complain that the thing has no IP and thus is at " address: ‘(null):5684’ " (as it does on every. single. start. of openhab2)

I started research into python tradfri-controlers to circumvent using the binding, Ole’s hint at Conbee/deconz is interesting and at times I wonder if it is time to look beyond openhab2 and search a sh-control system with more stability.

Because the way it is now I have to be home every day to fix things like the tradfri binding or people get desparate cause the lights just dont work.

@rubens mine is working great after update. There is another thread about this firmware version.

It sights the fix. Also make sure using tradfri app that all tradfri devices are up to date this appears to cause issues of not.

1 Like

another thread? Lot’s of other threads to that issue. And lots of bugs on github. I consult Google like twice a week on that.
Glad to hear it all works nicely for you.

@rubens
Tradfri 1.8.25 - offline - communication_error

thanks for the Link, interesting.
As a side effect of working through that thread I realised that pytradfri https://github.com/ggravlingen/pytradfri can be used to better test the current state of connectability of the gateway. If and when Tradfri is shown to be in communication error and pyrtradfri throws exceptions at start then I know I have to powercycle the gateway before I try anything else.
I had checked the android tradfri app but apparently the app has means to contact the gateway even when other channels fail.

I had to reset my gateway with a pin after the upgrade. Tried everything to no avail.
All devices have to be re-paired.

I’ve got several remotes which are struggling to update. Maybe that it for me. I’ve tried deleting it, restarting, but it never appears in the inbox.

Check here for how to update your remotes.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll give that a go.