I'm at a crossroads

I did a look at your posts on the forum and found none regarding your camera issues. You’re welcome to post or PM some TRACE level logs for the camera and I can take a look. I often do this and have a fixed jar in a matter of days for people to use. I recently found and fixed some bugs in the ONVIF code of the binding, so please upgrade to openHAB 3.4 Stable (released today) to get these changes as they may have stopped some ONVIF cameras from working in older builds.

Regarding reolink, I am adding support for them at the moment, see here:
Adding Reolink API to the IpCamera Binding, Alpha and Beta testers needed - Add-ons / Bindings - openHAB Community

Yes, they do work in Home Assistant but through HACS integrations and there are at least 2-3 of them to choose which one works in your use case and risk they change to a new integration that means you need to migrate across. I believe 1 HAC is if the camera is stand alone, and another if you then buy and add a NVR, you need to migrate and do setup again for a different HAC.
Compare this to openHAB, where I am working towards having all cameras that work locally in the same binding, that means the channels are all standardized making life easier if you move from 1 brand of camera to another. This is also for widget reasons so a widget created for 1 camera brand can be used across multiple brands. If you change to using a NVR, you change one setting in the binding and the binding changes everything needed in the background for you.

Yes I do agree that OH has spent a lot of time making life consistent, stable, robust and that is what I like. OH has looked at the framework in depth to make less breaking changes down the road and this can slow development down. HA seems to just make changes as fast as possible and not care about the strain the changes down the road cause on users. Each has its pros and cons and this is not a dig at the two different styles.

3 Likes

Yeah, I haven’t delved too much into this camera. I was using it mostly an example. I will be upgrading asap and go from there

Agreed. I was a bit surprised at HA when I took a look at it. It really smacked me of adding features, then adding other “features” to compensate for the lack of forethought in its design. I might be wrong though as I really just took a curious look.

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.