Hi, I’m new here. Greetings from Spain.
I’m planning to automate my home and I think I’ve come up with a good and cheap way of doing it. I’ll start by automating my pool and garden lights. The idea is the following:
- NodeMCU ESP8266 to control some relays (to activate pool motors and lights) and to control sensors (water temperature and PH). Other NodeMCU to control garden lights.
- Raspberry PI with Openhabian installed, as brain of the system.
- User Control / Interface. Tablet in my porch to control everything and as a multimedia device to play music.
Now a few questions.
- Do you think is it the right system? Should I re-think anything?
- I’m planning to add voice control in the future. I like Amazon Alexa. I would buy an Echo, but I’ve just discovered that you can install Alexa in a Raspberry PI. Can I install Alexa in the same Raspberry as Openhabian or in a different one?.
- I can use the Arduino IDE to flash the NodeMCU. However, my knowledge about programming is very limited. Could you provide some links where I could find code snippets to start with?.
Thanks for your help.