Innogy Binding - Test connectivity

Hi there,

the innogy binding sometimes loses connectivity to the innogy server and I would like to know if it is currently connected or if I have to restart Openhab2 oder the binding. Is there a way to test if the connection is currently established and working?

Thanks in advance for all hints.

regards,
Stephan

Hi Stephan,

this should be possible asking for the thing status in a rule, see Detecting offline Things in a less stupid way.

As I have no way to get notifications about never innogy posts here, please add me by using @oliver_kuhl in future posts. :wink:

Best
Ollie

Or maybe I just found a way a second ago
 :thinking:

Hi Ollie,

thanks for the hint. Does the binding regularly check connectivity (some kind of watchdog mechanism?) and go offline if connection is lost or will it only go offline after actively sending out an action to the “Innogy cloud” fails? If the latter is the case situations may occur where the binding wouldn’t react to external state changes (E.G. setting the targe temperature directly at the RST device) without even knowing that it is offline and without a chance to react to the offline situation.

regards,
Stephan

Oh it’s several month ago when I tested the exact behaviour. But there are two mechanisms:

1. Changes from openHAB pushed to the cloud service will force a reconnection, if they fail.
  2. The websocket will run into a timeout, when the connection doesn’t work anymore - and force a reconnection as well.

Are there states where the websocket means it is still online, but updates are not sent any more from the innogy cloud? Probably yes. Can I do anything against it? Unsure, because there may be people only using window contacts, that won’t send updates for hours or even days. While others would expect temperature updates regularly.

You could do something like configuring a innogy variable “whatchdog” and fire an openHAB rule every 15 minutes to push a change. If this leads to an error, the binding will try to reconnect and if that fails go offline.

As written in my last post, you can fire a rule if the bridge goes offline. But to be clear: I did not try that before. It’s on my todo list
 :wink:

1 Like