Install (2.3.0-1) on RPI (apt-get install) Not working

OK - cleared the cache… same error. should I reinstall?

Clean those two folders and see what kinda results you get. If still having issues try using a fresh image. Have you created a backup?

I backed up my openhab user files (rules, things, etc…) and I have an ISO I could use as a last resort.

Seems like the install missed a few things. :frowning:

To backup and restore:

sudo openhab-cli backup

Which places a file in /var/lib/openhab2/backups, which can then be restored using:

sudo openhab-cli restore /var/lib/openhab2/backups/filename.zip

This backs up both text config from /etc/openhab and PaperUI config from /var/lib/openhab/

If using a raspberry pi have you considered using openhabian instead of a manual install? Also check to make sure you have the correct version if Java installed.

1 Like

Make sure to get your backup zip file before going the fresh install route! I use FileZilla to move my backups to my PC and vice versa.

Type in

java -version

This will tell you if java is working and if so what version. Not all versions work with openhab so best to post or check against the documentation under manual install steps for linux.

Also if you do not have a UPS and have taken no steps to mitigate data corruption then a fresh install is the way to go, if corruption has occured in your boot/running files of linux then no amount of reinstalling openhab is going to fix it.

It is handy having a backup file you can re-load onto your SD card, so worth reading this guide so it does not happen to you again…

Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_131-b11)

I had to revert to a previous backed up ISO image.

For some reason the 2.2.3 build was not creating all required directories and the etc/ config files were, I believe, corrupt.

So, I had to roll back to 2.1. I don’t think there is an openhab-cli

I’m thinking of moving to 2.2 then 2.3… thoughts?

Do you have an extra microSD card?

Here is a link to openhabian
https://github.com/openhab/openhabian/releases
and a link to the doc’s and description
https://www.openhab.org/docs/installation/openhabian.html#features

I like openhabian because it’s easy to maintain my openhab setup and insures all the right packages are install, as well as permissions. You may have your reasons for a manual install but if you have an extra sd card you might want to give it a try.

No but I can purchase one. Currently I backup the disk to an iso.

What do you get if you type openhab-cli --help ? Do you connect via samba share or ssh? If so you should be able to save your items,things,rules,etc… then just place them back in after a fresh install.

Take a look at this link, it describes how to backup a manual install.
https://docs.openhab.org/installation/linux.html#backup-and-restore

I get command not found. It was there with the 2.2.3 pkg install. Not there 2.1.0

Matt1 may be right about the sd card corruption. Are you in the right directory when you try openhab-cli?

You can also try this, sudo $OPENHAB_RUNTIME/bin/backup
then look in openhab2/backups to see is a backup zip was created. If so you can access your RPI via ssh and move your settings to a PC. If you have an ISO image backup and the zip backup then it should be safe to pull the sd card, reformat, and install a fresh image. If it fails you can reinstall your ISO, if it works then move your zip backup to the new install.

I am not having issues with the backup. I have done it. I’m having troubles with the apt-get upgrade from 2.1 to 2.3. I’m configured to write to a USB drive not the SSD. My OS isn’t giving my fits its the install. Its consistently not creating the required directories among other things.

From openhab root directory /opt/openhab if this is your location have you ran sudo runtime/bin/update?

/opt/openhab isn’t the package install dir its “/usr/share/openhab2”

cd /usr/share/openhab2
sudo runtime/bin/update

Does running this help?