Installation OH on Raspbian

Hi everyone,

I got my first Raspi in order play around with, plan is to set up some stuff for a “smart home” (actually at the moment it’s still more the curiosity of an IT guy getting into this topic :wink: ).

First I have installed the latest version of Raspbian as described here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images/README.md. I wanted to go with the full, not the lite version, for whatever reasons.

After the “installation” (flashing of the SD) I did some configuration using raspi-config, e.g. WiFi settings. SSH acces also worked fine.

Then I installed openHab (https://www.openhab.org/docs/installation/openhabian.html --> “add openHABian just like any other software”), as I thought, like a software not a OS. However, something has changed (with) my OS installation afterwards:

• when logging in using PuTTY, colors of text appearance have changed (only black/white now, no more colors)
    • sudo raspi-config which has worked a couple of minutes before, wasn’t possible anymore (only openhab-config)
    • WiFi settings weren’t there anymore
    • Raspi appears in my router’s network devices list only under LAN devices and only with its IPv6 address (however, a ping brings up the IPv4 address)
    • SSH not working anymore after some time and even after a restart

What has been changed with my Raspbian installation with the installation of openHab?

And, would it be an option to use docker for OH?

Thanks very much, best greetings
jörge

Many things, that’s what openHABian is intentionally doing for you - what did you think it would do?
It seems that although you referenced the link, you didn’t read the docs.
If you really want to know, read the code below /opt/openhabian - it’s all scripts.

You must not use raspi-config (it’s intentionally deinstalled to not interfere with openHABian settings). And you should not have used the full Raspbian image but the openHABian SD image.
While I think it should work we haven’t tested with the full Raspbian version.

1 Like

Hi @sig80,

Openhabian is

openHABian aims to provide a self-configuring Linux system setup specific to the needs of every openHAB user. To that end, the project provides two things:

• Complete SD-card images pre-configured with openHAB and many other openHAB- and Hardware-specific preparations for the Raspberry Pi and the Pine A64
  • The openHABian Configuration Tool to set up and configure openHAB and many related things on any Debian/Ubuntu based system

#Table of Contents

If you don’t want this, you will need to reinstall the OS or back out the changes made to the OS (I’m not sure how to back out the changes openhabian made), and install openHAB using these instructions.

Regarding Docker, here’s information on running openHAB, which is different from openhabian, in a docker container.

Here’s a thread that discusses openhabian and Docker.

Regards,
Burzin

Welcome.

openHABian removed raspi-config due to some conflicts. @mstormi may have more insight into that.

Docker is an option but the configuration of that can be challenging. Personally, when I started wit a Pi 3B+ I installed Raspbian Lite with openHABian.

Thanks for the quick reply.

@mstormi Many things, that’s what openHABian is intentionally doing for you - what did you think it would do?

I know it does a lot, I thought it would install a software (or several included software packages) as a service/daemon, but wouldn’t change the OS of the Pi.

And you should not have used the full Raspbian image but the openHABian SD image.

So how is it supposed to work with already running setups and installations of other services? As from the documentation it looked like it’s possible to just install it without the “OS part”.

Anyway, would be best then to reinstall freshly just using OpenHABian. :+1:

It does not change or delete anything so it should work with almost everything.

Where does it say that? Give a pointer, please.

You just have been looking at it with wrong expectations in terms of administration.
And if you had read the docs you would know you should dedicate a system to be your Home Controller so there usually are no other services.

Yes, from image.

I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding here.

openHABian is not openHAB.

If all you want is openHAB (i.e. “install a software (or several included software packages) as a service/daemon, but wouldn’t change the OS of the Pi.”) than you don’t want openHABian. You just want openHAB. Follow the Linux apt installation steps Burzin posted.

If you want a customized operating system with tweaks applied (SAMBA shares created, ZRAM configuration, etc.) and other related useful software (FireMotD, Fontail, InfluxDB, Grafana, etc) installed and preconfigured to work with openHAB than you want to use openHABian. Preferably you would use the presupplied SD card image. But if for some reason you want to apply openHABian to an existing system, you can follow the instructions you followed. But the whole point of openHABian is to customize the whole OS and other programs.

Burzin_Sumariwalla

Thanks very much, exactly what I was looking for, worked fine!

rlkoshak

You’re right, great misunderstanding, I haven’t seen the wood for the trees!

Thanks a lot @all for the great fast help and explanations!