Installing new aeotec gen5 z-wave stick, but Z-wave serial controller stays offline

Hello

I’m trying to get access to my z-wave network with a new z-wave stick, but it stays offline.
I have openhab 2.5.5 running on a rpi4. I’ve checked similar topics, and tried some things but no success. … this is what i have done.

in Paper UI

• added the serial port “/dev/ttyAMA0”
  • set the “controller as master”

in raspbian

• added user openhab to dailout, tty and uucp

• enabled the following lines in /etc/defaultopenhab2 to update java permissions for the serial port
    EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS="-Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/ttyAMA0"
    EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS="-Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/ttyUSB0:/dev/ttyS0:/dev/ttyS2:/dev/ttyACM0:/dev/ttyAMA0"

the openhab log file shows :
2020-06-13 20:41:35.482 [INFO ] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - Starting ZWave controller
2020-06-13 20:41:35.484 [INFO ] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - ZWave timeout is set to 5000ms. Soft reset is false.

Does anyone has some idea. Thanks in advance.

Tom

Are you running OH on a RPI 4? If yes, you have to use a usb hub.

regards,
Olli

1 Like

Hi, I’m a newbie user trying to set up RPi4, OH2 on Node Red with an Aeotec gen5 z-wave stick connected to the Pi via a USB hub. When I try to configure the controller, I have to add new controller, then configure with name, ip address (I assume the address of my Pi) and port. Port and other parameters are claimed to be “optional”. Whatever I enter into Port fails. when I deploy, I get continuous looping ECONNREFUSED error. Rebooting the Pi doesn’t stop the loop. The only way to recover is to rebuild the Pi.
I’ve tried setting Port to 1880, to /dev/tty/AMA0 and all manner of other incantations.
Where is the documentation to help me?

What binding are you trying to use? Z-Wave controllers have no up address. The documentation fir the zwave binding is, ironically, enough located under the documentation menu on the OpenHAB site along with all the other official documentation.

Oliver

Thanks!! It did the trick.

My zwave devices are now online, but they stay “unknown” state… my 4 fakro ARZ zwave rollershutters. They should by recognised, as they are listed in the supported things table…
A simple power up cycle of the rollershutter brought no solution…

log file
2020-06-14 12:18:22.269 [WARN ] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - NODE 3: Restore from config: Error. Data invalid, ignoring config.
2020-06-14 12:18:22.272 [WARN ] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - NODE 5: Restore from config: Error. Data invalid, ignoring config.
2020-06-14 12:18:22.273 [WARN ] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - NODE 2: Restore from config: Error. Data invalid, ignoring config.
2020-06-14 12:18:22.273 [WARN ] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - NODE 4: Restore from config: Error. Data invalid, ignoring config.
2020-06-14 12:20:59.480 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 5: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! Manufacturer data not known.
2020-06-14 12:22:26.873 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 3: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! Manufacturer data not known.
2020-06-14 12:24:20.444 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 2: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! Manufacturer data not known.
2020-06-14 12:25:25.759 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 4: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! Manufacturer data not known.

According to the log file, it seems that the data is not recognised… I think a have to address this question to the person(s) who wrote the binding…

Regards

Tom

I am sure @chris has been monitoring this thread.

Probably the device is not communicating with the controller - it’s a bit hard to say for sure without seeing a debug log, but the persistence files have nothing in them (hence the restore warnings) and the device data is not known.

I’m not really sure what to suggest - maybe exclude the device while it’s close the controller and add it back again. Or get a debug log so we can see what is actually happening.

1 Like

Thanks, Bruce for responding so promptly. I was naively assuming that Node Red would include the bindings. I have a lot more to learn!
Alan

The thread is tagged zwave so I assumed you were using the OH zwave binding.

Node-Red has no Z-Wave device integration, to my know.edge. I thought is was just an object oriented system for writing rules.

Hi Chris

I’ve installed domoticz on my computer to see if the stick coupled correctly with my blinds.
Making the 4 devices up and running in Domoticz was pretty easy.

When i put the stick back in my rpi, openhab doesn’t seem to recognize the devices.
I’ve made the zwave logging active in the openhab console and this is the log when i put the stick back into my rpi onopenhab.log (561.2 KB) 2020-06-14 20:01:36.113. I’ve attached the log file.
Do you have any idea what could be wrong.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Bruce,
Node Red allows the addition of a wide range of contributor provided nodes, including for OpenHab2 and ZWave: https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-red-contrib-openzwave. The Node Red visual interface certainly is comprehensive for creating simple or sophisticated rules.
I had naively assumed that it would make installation and configuration simpler.
It seems that multi-vendor integration is quite a challenge.
Regards, Alan

That is for OpenZWave, We do not use their database. We have our own community supported database.

Early on we wanted to collaborate with them, and they declined. i would in no way expect that to be compatible with our binding.

Hopefully the openHAB nodes in Node Red will prove to be ok, but this is looking to be a minefield!
Cheers

I know of nobody using openzwave with OH. I doubt you will be able to get support here or elsewhere, In my experience our library is superior & more complete.

OK, I’ve given up the idea of using openzwave. Presumably openHab nodes in nodered are ok for controlling zwave devices.
Do you know whether many people are using that combination?
Alan