Installing OpenHABian

I have downloaded OpenHABian, and flashed it to a 32GB microSD card using Etcher. I have plugged it into my Raspberry Pi Zero W, connected a monitor, and powered it up. Nothing happens. There is nothing on the monitor. What is it supposed to do? How can I check that the OS is properly installed ion the microSd card? I am hoping to use a 1-Wire Pi Zero shield to interfacce to Onewire, and thence to connect to a DS18B20 sensor.

What is the easiest way to get this to work? How do I find out what the problem is?

Thanks - Rowan

There should be initially a RPi logo followed by a bunch of text saying what it is doing. Do you see any blinking lights on the RPi? Did you plug the monitor in before adding power to the RPi? Did you have Etcher verify the SD card after writing?

Here is a post from a few days ago that may answer some of your questions when installing openhabian on a RPI.

https://community.openhab.org/t/openhabian-on-pi-3-model-b/48967

Here’s what I did:

1. Plugged the newly etched micro-SD card into the Pi.
  2. Connected the Pi to my monitor with an HDMI cable. The monitor said “no signal” (not surprisingly, since we have not powered it up yet).
  3. Connected the PWR IN socket on the Pi to a powered USB hub via a micro USB cable.

Nothing appeared on the monitor. There were no lights on the Pi. Does the Pi Zero W have any LEDs? If so, which are they, and under what circumstances should they come on?

Raspberry Pi Zero W

What am I doing wrong? How do I get OpenHAB running on the Pi Zero W?

Many thanks - Rowan

Yes and they come on when powered up and for SD card access. If there is no signal and no lights try a different cable and a dedicated power supply. I don’t think a powered USB hub provides sufficient power to run the RPi.