Instant rain detection

The successor to that, Fibaro Smart Implant that is, has an analog IN as well.

FGBS-222 = “Smart Implant”
Input: 2 0-10V or digital inputs 1 serial 1-wire input

predecessor
FGBS-001 = “Universal Binary Sensor”
Input: 2 potential-free inputs, 1 digital input 1-wire

Did you found a way to bind the sensor RG-11 into Openhab ? As far as I know the drops are counted. So you have to calculate if it raining or not. How did you managed this?

I bought a RG-9 a couple of months ago from lunaticoastro.com (distributor in mainland Europe). Unfortunately with the old firmware which has slightly less little options as the new firmware. But the main thing is that it has instant detection.

I have connected the serial output of the RG-9 to the TX/RX pins of a Nodemcu running ESPeasy. In Openhab I have connected the serial binding to the Nodemcu and am using a javascript transformation to filter all the incoming messages. When there is no rain, it will output the message “R 0” over serial and when it starts to rain it will output “R 1” up to “R 7” depending how severe the rain is. So basically if it outputs something greater than “R 0” it rains.

That’s a nice sensor, does it also transmit brightness data?
The RG-11 transmit it, but it have no supportet serial interface.

RG-9 does not transmit brightness. But what I noticed on te website is that the RG-11 does have a RS232 interface. Wouldn’t you be able to use that to read values from the unit? The hydreon website gives the protocol instructions on the website.

Hi digdeep76, I just configured the RG11 to “It’s raining mode”, highest sensivity, without darkness sensing, and (AFAIR) monostable+15min. This results in a closed contact whenever it is raining (very reliably, really reacts on first raindrop). I connected the concact to a KNX binary input. For extra safety I have used a standard optocoupler to decouple the signal line from the outside of the building, as well as adding a overvoltage protection to the supply lines.
Unfortunately I cannot detect the amount of rain, but this was anyway not the intended use case for me. I would recommend to look at the serial protocol in case you want to extract all the information.

Hi! I’ve tried to bulid an instant rain detector using aqara water leak sensor and a cheap rain sensor link in post #2 or here: Turn an Aqara Water Leak Sensor into an instant rain meter. My goal is to control the garden irrigation when it rains. I’ve tried it, first it seemd that it works, but after a few days (and cold mornings below zero degrees) started to send false alarms. It wasn’t raining, and was not wet at all but maybe it sensed some kind of moisure on the backgound of the sensor. I’ve read here that I should use the board with the potentiometer came with the sendsor to adjuk the threshold, but as I understand it needs 3.3V, what I dont know how to give as I would like to use it as an outdoor solution. Could anybody help me what is the exact setup and wiring that you use? What are your experience with this?

Hi,

I wrote post #2, and yes, I have the same issues with false positives. It is actually exactly when reaching the dew point outdoors with my setup, which makes sense. As this usually mostly happens at night for me I’m fine, but for this to not happen I think the only really viable solution would be with a heated detection plate.

1 Like