Insteon binding and iPhone App

Hi all,
I am looking at adding the Insteon Binding to my system. I currently have an operational Insteon system running with the iPhone App. Is it possible to use both the openHab binding and Insteon App on the same hub at the same time?

Thank you for your advice.

Stay safe.

Bob

Yes you can add the Insteon binding and keep the iPhone app. The hub will work fine. You want to minimize the use of the app once openHAB is setup as having both running at the same time can cause some errors.

Both running means app open on the phone issuing commands and sending commands on openHAB ui.

Once you get openHAB going you won’t want the Insteon app for daily use.

2 Likes

Thank you @Thedannymullen I will give it a try. The Insteon app is currently hooked to Google Home. Wifey likes to say Okay google “Lights On”… :slight_smile: I need to keep that functionality to keep world peace while I tinker.

Besafe!

Bob

1 Like

Well openHAB can do google for you once openHAB gets setup.

The transition won’t be hard I had some of the same issues migrating google to openHAB.

Agree with @Thedannymullen in that the Insteon App is about the worst thing I’ve ever seen in IOT and there is a lot of crap out there. Once you get up and running with OH, you’ll never want to open that app.

From a technical perspective what happens is this, you command the Hub to send a command and turn on a light via the app. The light turns on but OH has no way to know this happened. Later (could be minutes) OH polls and find the light on and updates itself. This isn’t a huge deal most of the time, but if you have an OH rule written to do something when that light turns on, the rule will then trigger much later. I’ve had it happen where polls get missed and rules trigger like an hour later. It can be very difficult to figure out in the beginning and makes it seem like there are “ghosts in the system”.

1 Like

Thanks guys. Which binding are you guys using?
I see the InsteonPLM binding in the paper UI, however in the documents I see 3 different ones
The version I am running is openHABian 2.5.1-2 (release build)
Thanks for you continued support.

Bob

InsteonPLM and InsteonHUB are 1.x bindings. The Insteon binding is a 2.5x binding that just was released with 2.5.4.

InsteonHUB was made obsolete by InsteonPLM adding hub capabilities years ago. Insteon 2.5.x binding is now the direct descendant of InsteonPLM and is the only one currently supported so I’d suggest that.

Use the insteon one.

Thank you. I will need to update to 2.5.4.

Cheers,

B

I have all my Insteon devices configured to work with Google Assistant and it works very well. See Google Assistant | openHAB

1 Like

Thank you. just updated to 2.5.4. I need to figure out how to configure the binding.

Cheers,

B

1 Like