Insteon Hub 2 Scenes

Is it possible to use scenes configured on the Insteon Hub v2 with the InsteonPLM binding?

Short answer:

There is no direct functionality in the InsteonPLM binding that would do that, and quite frankly, there are no plans to provide it.

Longer, somewhat more positive answer:

The InsteonPLM binding uses the built-in PLM modem of the Hub or Hub2, and as such is oblivious to any higher-level software constructs (such as “scenes”) that are defined on the Hub. The interesting question though is how the hub implements these scenes at the message level. I suspect that first all devices that are part of a “scene” are configured as responders to a given Insteon group. So when the hub wants to trigger a scene it sends out an ALL-Link broadcast message with that Insteon group number on it, and all responders then go into the state that they are supposed to assume when the scene is triggered. Again, I’m not sure that’s how it works, but that’s my best guess.

Assuming that’s the case, you could potentially trigger a hub-defined scene by simply sending out the message. There is no direct support for sending a message like that in the InsteonPLM binding, but maybe you can fool it into doing so by creating a fake switch like so:

Switch sceneTrigger “scene trigger” {insteonplm=“xx.xx.xx:F00.00.15#keypadbuttonA,group=2”}

Where for xx.xx.xx you put in a valid insteon address of any of your devices, doesn’t matter, so long as it is in the modem database. The example line has group=2, but you’d have to change that until you hit the right group number that is associated with that scene.

If that works I will provide a cleaner interface to send out the group messages.

I’ve done a bit of Insteon PLM programming myself. Originally I was trying to implement control in AMX, but when I found out about openHAB, I decided to switch over. From what I’ve seen, you are right about the hub sending out an ALL-Link broadcast message to trigger a scene. Where things get a little weird, is that it’s not sent out as a normal message to the network, but flagged for the PLM itself. So to set scene 9 on you’d send 0x02,0x61,0x09,0x11,0x00 (STX, SEND_ALL-LINK_MSG, [scene number], ON, UNUSED) directly to the PLM.

I tried your suggestion, with the following line:

Switch AllLightsScene “All Lights Scene” {insteonplm=“AA.BB.CC:F00.00.15#keypadbuttonA,group=4”}

where AA.BB.CC was a valid address for a wall switch and got the following from the binding:

[ERROR] [.o.b.i.InsteonPLMActiveBinding] - item AllLightsScene references unknown feature: keypadbuttonA, item disabled!

I tried changing the device type to match the correct type for the device F00.00.02, and got the same result.

Working on openhab right now anyways. Will provide a way to send a group broadcast message with my next pull request, ETA end of the week.

1 Like

Well, took quite a bit longer, but there is link to a jar file somewhere in the conversation to this pull request:

I’m working on documenting the new features, but in short, you can now create an insteonplm item like this:

Switch  broadcastOnOff "group broadcast on/off" { insteonplm="23.9B.65:0x000045#broadcastonoff,group=1"}

Where the device address is that of the PLM modem, and so is the product id (using 0x000045 should also work for hub/hub2).
Changing the switch to “ON” should send an insteon ON broadcast message to group #1 (or whatever you configure it to be).

“I can call spirits from the vasty deep."
"Why so can I, or so can any man. But will they come when you do call for them?”

Now you can call the spirits, but the question is: will they respond. If you do the sending through the PLM of your hub2, I would think the devices will react, because they are configured as responders to your hub2. If you go through another PLM modem, you will have to configure them to be responders to that PLM as well. This can be done with a tool like “insteon terminal” that my son Daniel has published on github.

1 Like

Works perfectly so far with my hub2. Quick question, does it honor the related option? Also, on a side note, for related, do you place that on the controller, the responder, or both?

For anyone who is curious, my entry in my sitemap looks like this:

Switch item=Scene_Bedroom_Night mappings=[ON="On", OFF="Off"]

I’m using the mappings to give myself separate on and off buttons, since Insteon scenes have on and off commands, but the states don’t get tracked (i.e. turning off a light in the scene won’t turn off the scene, scene recall is momentary).

Thanks again!

There should be no difference between hub and plm.
Related option goes on both device’s item config.

How did you defined a bindings with you switch? And how your transformaton rule looks like?
Thank you!