Insteon PLM recognized but not available as a Binding

From the log it looks like there are junk characters coming over the usb line. And this is already happening during the download of the modem database, which doesn’t involve any communication over the insteon network (the data is already on the modem).
So what gives? I’ve been seeing this issue cropping up every now and then, and it seems to me like every time it’s a different reason. Could well be a hardware issue. Please double check your USB cable, maybe move it to a different USB port.

How old is your modem? They tend to crap out after 2-3 years (replacing the power supply capacitors fixes that).
Changing the cable should be easy. Next try changing the port, then change the computer (increasing pain level, I know). I don’t trust the RPI much. I also prefer to use Insteon Terminal because that gets the whole OpenHAB bloat out of the picture. But people struggle with installing InsteonTerminal, too, mostly with getting the serial port to work under Java. Fun, fun.

1 Like

@Bernd_Pfrommer thanks so much for all this info! Yeah its about 2 years old I think. I’ll attempt the steps you discussed and get back to this thread (though I just had my first born on the 28th so it may be a few days :slight_smile: ). Assuming it HAS crapped out, I’m in the process of considering what the best platform is for openHAB. I too have been a bit frustrated by the reliability of the RPi and for something as important as this I’d like some more consistency. Is there a particular Insteon product you recommend more than the USB PLM? I seem to remember when I was researching that the Serial one had even more issues? Should I just get the hub? I seem to remember reading a post which I assume was by you for replacing the power capacitors. I dismissed it at the time as not being worth the time, but I’ve since learned a little more about soldering techniques…is it a relatively easy procedure? Or again should I just upgrade to the hub and be done with it…

As far as using openhab, the hub is inferior to the PLM, by a margin. I would stick with the PLM.

Oh really? So stick with the PLM but just get a new one? How about that re-soldering? Worth it or just buy a new one?

I decided to re-solder mine because swapping the modem can be a major headache. I have some 100 devices in my house, and all of them would have to be re-linked.

Bernd

Ah, that makes sense, I don’t have too many yet (4 linked and a repeater) but I have a box with like 30 unlinked dimmers ready for a new house. Sounds like it would kind of be irresponsible not to start from scratch. But I’d also like to not have to redo it every 2 years. Maybe i’ll do the soldering on a new one. Can you point me to that tutorial you wrote (assuming the one I saw a while ago was yours)…

Also, I trust your expertise, but are we sure it’s not an issue with the migration to OH2. Because it happened only upon that and I just discovered my WoL items aren’t working as well…

I don’t run OH2, so I cannot speak to that. How hard is it to configure a parallel installation of OH1.8?
I don’t recall getting the 0x02 messages when my PLM crapped out. It just didn’t respond anymore occasionally, then that happened more and more often, until it finally died. May make sense to rule out OH2 as the root cause.

@Bernd_Pfrommer sorry for the delay, I had my first child and the concept of free time was forever changed. However, with the help of @rlkoshak I was able to, pretty easily revert back to OH1 and I can confirm that none of the issues I was experiencing on OH2 were present in OH1. All my Insteon devices were responding immediately with every command. As a reminder, under OH2, immediately after a reboot the switches would respond, but very slow and the lag would increase in size until the user interface was totally unresponsive. What can I do now?

I’m running on OH2 with no problems. I have a conf/services/insteonplm.cfg file which contains:

port_0=/dev/ttyUSB0

Rob,

Could this be an OH2 version difference?

Would you be willing to add any relevant info to the wiki page for using OH2? I think it is pretty OH1-centric currently.

Again, sorry for the delay…baby.

This is the relevant section of my /etc/openhab2/insteon.cfg:

# port_0=/dev/insteon  (Linux, with serial port symlinked to /dev/insteon)
# port_0=/dev/ttyS0    (Linux, with plain old serial modem)
port_0=/dev/ttyUSB0
# port_0=COM1	  (Windows, with serial/usb modem on COM1)

Seems like i’m rocking the same configuration…Anything else I should post to see what the differences may have been?

Is there a large CPU load on the machine? Somehow two bindings running at once? (the port should be locked, should not be possible to run twice, but still…). Is there another device plugged in that is actually on /dev/ttyUSB0, and your plm modem is on /dev/ttyUSB1?

Would also be nice if somebody could please move the comment lines behind #port_0= to a separate line such that people don’t just remove the # and leave the comment there. That has tripped up a bunch of users. I fixed it for OH 1.x, but not OH2.

The conf file resides in the OH1 repo at features/openhab-addons-external/src/main/resources/conf/insteonplm.cfg

I’m actually not sure and, embarrassingly, am not entirely sure how to check.However, I have been experiencing a lot of “crashes” of openhab since I moved my installation to a USB thumb drive. I put “crashes” in quotes because I will get notifications from the openHAB android app that openhab is offline, but I can still ssh into the RPi running OH. Issuing a reboot brings OH back. Not sure if that’s related…

I had a similar issue to this a while ago, that turned out to be Java crashing (I assume running out of memory). Moving some items to tmpfs seemed to solve that problem though…

Soooo I don’t know and I"m not 100% sure how to check but I will tonight. As I said, right BEFORE I attempted to migrate to OH2 I moved my filesystem to a USB thumbdrive and wonder if perhaps that is causing confusion with OH2 (again though with the FS on USB, OH1 seems to work pretty well).

yup, happened to me at first…stupid though, I def shouldn’t have been tricked by that.

I suppose this is in order

seth@HOMi:/dev $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0a5c:21e8 Broadcom Corp. BCM20702A0 Bluetooth 4.0
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0781:5571 SanDisk Corp. Cruzer Fit
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
seth@HOMi:/dev $ dmesg | grep 'FTDI'
[    2.021601] usb 1-1.3: Manufacturer: FTDI
[    5.932691] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for FTDI USB Serial Device
[    5.932976] ftdi_sio 1-1.3:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
[    5.935423] usb 1-1.3: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0

As far as high CPU usage. I used Top and it never really seems to go much beyond 5% for the openhab process as I was flicking switches on and off. I disabled openhab1 and enabled openhab2 and rebooted and (after re-remembering how to bring up the webui) the lights were actually pretty responsive. I couldn’t tell a lag and I used Top and it never really seems to go much beyond 5% for the openhab process as I was flicking switches on and off… Unfortunately the outlets still don’t seem to be responding to any commands at all. Here’s a more recent log (though the date seems to be different than the RPi’s system date, why might that be?)

edit: I feel like a bonehead, but I just realized the logs are displaying the wrong date, the logs just don’t seem to be displaying all the way to the end. If I ls -alh it states it was last updated today and with the time updating with each flick of an item’s state, but when I cat or tail the log it stops on the same line of the date July 08…

Well now I’m thoroughly confused. when I ‘ls -alh’ it tells me that some of the logs have been updated today, but when I cat or tail them this is what I observe:

/var/log/openhab2 $ tail events.log 
2017-07-01 18:26:34.924 [ItemStateChangedEvent     ] - Outlet_Coffee changed from OFF to ON
2017-07-01 18:26:35.799 [ItemCommandEvent          ] - Item 'Outlet_Coffee' received command OFF
2017-07-01 18:26:35.807 [ItemStateChangedEvent     ] - Outlet_Coffee changed from ON to OFF
2017-07-12 19:39:14.686 [ItemCommandEvent          ] - Item 'Light_MR_Main' received command ON
2017-07-12 19:39:14.730 [ItemStateChangedEvent     ] - Light_MR_Main changed from NULL to 100
2017-07-12 19:39:14.733 [GroupItemStateChangedEvent] - gMR changed from NULL to UNDEF through Light_MR_Main
2017-07-12 19:39:14.735 [GroupItemStateChangedEvent] - gLights changed from NULL to UNDEF through Light_MR_Main
2017-07-12 19:39:14.736 [GroupItemStateChangedEvent] - gMyOpenHAB changed from NULL to UNDEF through Light_MR_Main
2017-07-12 19:39:14.738 [GroupItemStateChangedEvent] - gAll changed from NULL to UNDEF through gMR
2017-07-12 19:39:14.740 [seth@HOMi:/var/log/openhab2 $ 

It seems to do this with all the logs, updated or not. They just seem to cut off and won’t display any further…

So where are people getting the old example config file from? Is there another file for OH2?

Is the USB drive full?

Could also be the OS not flushing to disk (but in this case I would not expect the time stamp on the file to update).

Maybe try another USB stick?

I assume the above logs are all generated with OH1, since OH2 doesn’t work and gives the 0x02 errors, right?

That file is the one used by OH2