Insteon PLM verus HUB and cabling

I currently have an Insteon PLM (2413S) that is controlled by an ISY994i. That works fine.

I’m trying to move it to OpenHAB running on a Raspberry Pi and am somewhat perplexed by the cabling. The only USB to RJ45 cable I have found appears to have a different pinout on the RJ45 side (which plugs into the 2413S).

Question 1: What is the best way to hook an Insteon 2413S to a Raspberry Pi such that OpenHAB can talk to it?

Question 2: If that is not viable, then what are the pros and cons of going with a 2413U PLM versus an Insteon HUB? Since the ISY994i controls my Insteon database links, and it does not talk to either, I was hoping to stick with the 2413S, but it I must change over, I will.

Thanks!

I have the USB base Insteon PLM (2413U) with a Banana PI, and have no issues. Others are using Raspberry Pi’s also. You shouldn’t have any problems finding a USB->Serial cable, and doing a quick search here’s one from Monoprice (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=3726).

The PLM is a better option, since it’s directly connected via a serial port vs polling with a hub for communication between the Insteon PLM binding and the device.

The new Hub 2014 that Insteon is selling requires polling, which leads to additional delays of up to 1sec. I would recommend the PLM, either serial or USB.

As Rob says, you need an adapter to convert the signal levels from usb(pi) to serial(plm), something like this (on amazon): Sabrent USB 2.0 to Serial (9-Pin) DB-9 RS-232 Converter Cable (CB-DB9P).

Then you also need a db9 to rj45 cable, see discussion on this thread: http://forum.smarthome.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12398

Thanks Rob. Good point about the PLM versus polling on the hub. As for the cabling, the 2413S takes an RJ45 connector and not a DB9 connector. While I have found one of these (https://www.amazon.com/Asunflower®-Cisco-Console-Cable-Windows/dp/B00KMRVGFO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1466607498&sr=8-4&keywords=usb+to+rj45), it appears to be intended for Cisco routers and uses a different pinout than the 2413S documentation:

Cable on Amazon:

RJ-45 DTE Pinouts RTS(1), DTR(2), TXD (3), GND(4), GND(5), RXD (6), DSR(7), CTS(8) 6. UART interface support for 7 or 8 data bits, 1 or 2 stop bits and odd / even / mark / space / no parity.

2413S spec (taken from Insteon)

Since the pinouts are not the same on the cable and the PLM, I am skeptical on trying it.

Has anyone successfully connected a 2413S to a USB port? If so, how?

Thanks Bernd. If I have to go through a DB9 connector I will … just hoping to avoid it. I think the smarthome thread should help.

Did you buy the cisco cable? If so, did it work?

Did you ever get this to work? I bought this cable from Amazon, but I’m not able to get anything to work.

When I connected it, ubuntu created a new /dev/ttyUSB0 serial port, but when I do “setserial -g /dev/ttyUSB0” it says the UART is “none” which means the port is disabled, and any attempt to set the UART to anything else doesn’t work (no error, but when I query the port settings it’s still says “none”).

Any thoughts?

Bruce