Insteon valve control still not possible?

I want to control an EZRain Insteon device and a google search found this thread.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/openhab/k7j0wMFSkMs
which says that valve control is not possible in openHAB.
Is this still true today?

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes, it appears nobody has added support for EZRain Insteon devices yet. It doesn’t mean it can’t be supported, just that nobody has done it yet. If you are able, Bernd has given some instructions on how to get started at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/openhab/k7j0wMFSkMs/vxbQJdP3_QYJ:

The short answer is: valve control with openhab is currently not possible.

To control the valves you will need to modify the source code and implement a new command handler in the CommandHandler.java file, which sends a 0x40 message for Valve ON, and 0x41 for Valve OFF, plus the valve number (from an item config parameter) in cmd2. That command handler then needs to be exposed as a feature in device_features.xml, which in turn can then be referenced in device_types.xml by your newly added sprinkler device.
Bottom line: you need to bring up the openhab dev environment to do it.

Rob

Nothing like jumping in the deep end, eh?
Would it be better to use the 1.7 or 1.8 source tree?

Is there anything I can do in the meantime to at least verify that the hub can “see” the EZRain?
I tried pressing the link button on the EZRain and I thought I might see some output but I got nothing.

Thanks,
Steve

You should always work off the master branch on github, which is the 1.8 code. I’m short enough on time that I basically do not support anything but 1.8 anyways. I don’t recall people reporting any regressions from 1.7 -> 1.8, so as far as I’m concerned the insteonplm binding v1.7 is dead, in particular since 1.8 is a drop in replacement that is compatible with a 1.7 base system.

I also appears that EZRain also supports X10 which is also supported with the InsteonPLM binding (see https://github.com/openhab/openhab/wiki/Insteon-PLM-Binding#x10-devices). This is another option if you don’t want to try and add support using the Insteon protocol.

Hi Bernd,

I have the development system set up, the 1.8 source cloned and I got a good build.

I see that the code you suggested that I change is all in the insteonplm binding. Does the insteonhub binding use the insteaonplm code? If not where is the starting point in the insteonhub binding?

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

I don’t think insteonhub is in active development, insteonplm is the binding that Bernd created and is the one you should use.

Rob

OK, I moving ahead with the insteonplm binding then.

I’m probably going to need some hand holding to start with and I’m guessing that the beginners forum is not the best place to talk about development. Bindings forum?

I do have one very basic question though. How do I get my insteon hub to send out the LinkAll command so I get manually link my EZRain?

Thanks,
Steve

From all I can tell the InsteonHub code is no longer supported, i.e. dead. I started out originally writing the insteonplm binding not realizing that the insteonhub binding was using the raw plm tcp interface, so I duplicated work :frowning:
Later Daniel added the code for interfacing with the hub 2014, and after that I added support for the old hub, so now the insteonplm binding can be used for bare metal modem and for hubs alike.

But to answer your question: no, the insteonplm binding uses no code from the insteonhub binding.
May be a good idea to start a new thread for the development.

OK, I’ll start a new thread called “Insteonplm valve on/off development”