InsteonPLM advanced feature (status LED brightness)

It’s the usual dance: put a print statement in the code that prints out the warning about low_byte not being set. Print out what the actual value is (presumably “null?”). If so, then put print statements in the code where the object is instantiated, i.e. where the value from the xml file is stuck into the object. Presumable somewhere there something is going awry.

@Bernd_Pfrommer,

OK, so I got into debugging today:

Here is what I had done to get LED Brightness in the first place:

I’m using a 1.10-SNAPSHOT .jar that I compiled myself from the openHAB repository - no changes.
I then added your changed lines from devices.xml and features.xml into my more_devices.xml and more_features.xml.

This allowed the LEDBrightness to be set, however the polling was failing for both ramp rate and led brightness as we discusses above.

So - first thing I did was disable my more_devices.xml and more_features.xml, download your test .jar file, put it into my openHAB addons dir and restart openhab. Polling started working!

OK - so I figured, I must have something messed up in my more_devices.xml or more_features.xml. I grabbed my files and grabbed your additions and diffed them and they show identical.

So, the only thing I can think of - is there a difference between your forked repo and the main openhab repo currently that this feature relies on?

Thanks for your help!

OK - so I went a little further debugging.

Today what I worked on is looking into why the LED brightness feature worked for my 2477D dimmer and not my 2334 keypad linc.

My setup was with adding an entry into my more_devices.xml for the keypad linc and adding the same ext_group to it that Bernd has for the dimmer:

<device productKey="F00.00.15">
 <model>2334-232</model>
 <description>Keypad Dimmer Switch, 6-Button </description>
 <feature name="loaddimmer">LoadDimmerButton</feature>
 <feature name="rampdimmer">LoadDimmerRamp</feature>
 <feature name="manualchange">ManualChange</feature>
 <feature name="fastonoff">LoadDimmerFastOnOff</feature>
 <feature_group name="button_group" type="KeyPadButtonGroup">
 	<feature name="keypadbuttonA">KeyPadButton3</feature>
 	<feature name="keypadbuttonB">KeyPadButton4</feature>
 	<feature name="keypadbuttonC">KeyPadButton5</feature>
 	<feature name="keypadbuttonD">KeyPadButton6</feature>
 </feature_group>
 <feature_group name="ext_group" type="ExtStatusGroup">
    <feature name="ledbrightness">LEDBrightness</feature>
    <feature name="ramprate">RampRate</feature>
 </feature_group>
 <feature name="lastheardfrom">GenericLastTime</feature>

Re-started openhab and ensured that this file was read:

2017-05-07 08:14:12 INFO  o.o.b.i.InsteonPLMActiveBinding[:302]- read additional device definitions from /usr/share/openhab/insteon/more_devices.xml
2017-05-07 08:14:12 INFO  o.o.b.i.InsteonPLMActiveBinding[:315]- reading additional feature templates from /usr/share/openhab/insteon/more_features.xml
2017-05-07 08:14:12 INFO  o.o.b.i.InsteonPLMActiveBinding[:319]- dead device timeout set to 3000s
2017-05-07 08:14:12 DEBUG o.o.b.i.InsteonPLMActiveBinding[:273]- configuration update complete!
2017-05-07 08:14:12 DEBUG o.o.b.i.InsteonPLMActiveBinding[:358]- initializing...
2017-05-07 08:14:12 INFO  o.o.b.i.InsteonPLMActiveBinding[:370]- config: port_0 -> /dev/ttyS5
2017-05-07 08:14:12 INFO  o.o.b.i.InsteonPLMActiveBinding[:684]- devices:   0 configured,   0 polling, msgs received:     0
2017-05-07 08:14:12 DEBUG o.o.b.i.internal.driver.Poller[:188]- starting poll thread.
2017-05-07 08:14:12 DEBUG o.o.b.i.internal.driver.Driver[:83]- added new port: port_0 /dev/ttyS5
2017-05-07 08:14:12 INFO  o.o.b.i.InsteonPLMActiveBinding[:370]- config: more_features -> /usr/share/openhab/insteon/more_features.xml
2017-05-07 08:14:12 INFO  o.o.b.i.InsteonPLMActiveBinding[:370]- config: more_devices -> /usr/share/openhab/insteon/more_devices.xml

I created an item, placed it on my site map, but couldn’t get it to control my keypad linc.

I then disabled my more_devices.xml, edited the devices.xml in Bernd’s source tree, compiled and moved the new ,jar into my addons directory and restarted openhab. Now it works!

So, there seems to be an issue with how the more_devices.xml file is being parsed. Wondering if anymore has any ideas about this?

Waking up an older thread. I’m using the current binding in OPENHAB2 and for the following item:

Number PictureLED           "Picture LED"                       <siren>        (LivingRoom)     {insteonplm="3E.8D.32:F00.00.01#ledbrightness"}

I get the following message in the log:

018-03-19 16:12:47.994 [ERROR] [g.insteonplm.InsteonPLMActiveBinding] - item PictureLED references unknown feature: ledbrightness, item disabled! Known features for F00.00.01 are: dimmer, fastonoff, lastheardfrom, manualchange.

I’ve tried tracing but can’t see where I’ve gone wrong.

Thanks in advance for any advice…

I’ll answer my own query. My error was to have two items referencing the same Insteon ID but with different Device IDs (e.g. F00.00.01). The first one did not have the ledbrightness feature. It appears that the first one found defines the device even if others reference a different device. So the lesson is each item entry should have the same Device ID.