InsteonPLM on raspberry pi

I’m experiencing what appears to be the same issue using the 2413U dual band PLM.

I copied a previously working config from an Ubuntu machine and am using the same modem.

Did anyone ever uncover a solution?

Figured it out! I was running openhab as the pi user (and still am). I changed the permissions of /dev/ttyUSB0 so the pi user had rw permissions fixed the problem on a restart! @l1t7l3ph0o7 it’s probably too late, but perhaps this would help you?

So, I was about to attempt your suggestion and I noticed something new.
When I enter dmesg | grep tty:
I get:

0000 dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p6 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootdelay=5 rootwait
[ 0.002086] console [tty1] enabled
[ 0.195873] 3f201000.uart: ttyAMA0 at MMIO 0x3f201000 (irq = 83, base_baud = 0) is a PL011 rev2
[ 0.697062] console [ttyAMA0] enabled
[ 15.768332] usb 1-1.2: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0
[ 32.343578] ftdi_sio ttyUSB0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0

It seems my device is immediately disconnecting after it connects, I rebooted my pi and tried again with the same result.
any ideas?

I actually discovered last night that the permissions issue was because openhab was the user running openhab, not pi. I had neglected to add openhab to the dialout group. Doing this removed the need for me to mess with permissions.

I had a flakey USB cable that I had to replace that was causing my device to connect and disconnect at random, but you’re using the USB key, right? Can you try another port?

I had the exact same issue with a usb-to-serial adapter on a RPi. The problem is silly :slight_smile: Look at this part of the log message:

got no such port for "**/dev/ttyUSB0  (Linux, with usb based PLM modem)**"

The error is in your insteonplm config file. In the default config file the line is as such:

# port_0=/dev/ttyUSB0  (Linux, with usb based PLM modem)

If you just remove the comment, the line will look like this:

port_0=/dev/ttyUSB0  (Linux, with usb based PLM modem)

But of course, this is incorrect - you also need to remove the note at the end: (Linux, with usb based PLM modem)

The line should look like this:

port_0=/dev/ttyUSB0

Note I also had to add my openhab user to the dialout group, then reboot, but then everything started working.

1 Like

This was fixed in PR #3590, merged on Dec 14th, 2015 forf OH 1.8.0.

OMG, I can’t believe I just hit this too. Thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious to me immediately!

1 Like