Integrating MWD5 thermostat into Openhab

Is there any progress here? I am interested as well as I own such one as well. Thanks for your effort.

Unfortunately I didn’t get an answer. :pensive: So i started to write my own binding.

The first function will be to read the temperatures. But it will take a little time.

@paglatz What features do you need most?

Hi Christian,

Most of all I would need manual override. Our Family day is somehow not plannable so the weekly schedule is not very helpful for me. That’s why I would need the manual mode + setting temp there the most. Second would be display of current temperature and an indication whether it is currently heating.

Very interested in how you are facing this?!

Can only offer to test your implementation as I am not very deep in writing own plugins yet (but very interested in how one can do such).

Thanks in advance!
Patrick

Hi Patrick,

you describe the same topics i will implement first (show temperature and menual override).

If i have some think to test it would be cool if you can test it.

But please: i also have only a little time that’s why the implementation will be take a while.

Christian

Hi @paglatz ,

here is my first pull request:

Hi @Christian_Kittel,

Sorry, somehow I was not getting notification about the new message. Changed this now.

Regarding your test: I recognised that my plumber has installed not the wifi based version as it was ordered. I am in a discussion with him right now regarding this but we have other issues with him as well making this one a more minor issue. Maybe I just will buy the thermostat again on my own, but this will take a while. I will leave you a note as soon as I am testing it. Thanks a lot for your contribution.
Patrick

1 Like

Hi @paglatz,

any news here?

Christian

Hi Christian,

currently i stopped working at openHAB as business situation is tricky somehow. I don’t know how soon i will make it. I have this topic on my agenda as one of the first points but unsure by when i can make some progress here.

Really sorry, will keep you posted,
Patrick

1 Like

Hi @Christian_Kittel,

i bought myself a little christmas present (MWD5). Now i am looking for the API-Key. I contacted the shop where i bought the MWD5 but those could not help me. Can you give me a hint, how to obtain the key?

Thanks in advance
Patrick

P.S.: Are the channels still read only? If so, any possibility to get the manual mode working? Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi @paglatz ,

at the moment all channels are readonly. With the next milestone build of OH3 the important channels are writeable. Also discovery is supported.

Any progress on obtaining the API-key? I ordered my thermostat online and have no idea where to get that key from?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi @Matthew,

i also ordered it online and phoned them but unfortunately they couldnt tell me either.

I will wait for the auto detection within one of the next versions of OH3, than this should be fixed. Still the channels are not editable, which was the main reason for me to add that to OH, so for me no problem to wait a few more weeks.

Thanks
Patrick

I got the binding running by adding the following parameters. My thermostats are Micromatic branded.

1 Like

Hi @Christian_Kittel,

Thanks for your work on this. How did you found out the details of the API, is there any reference anywhere?

Hi @jammin,

There is no API documentation :persevere: I use reverse engineering to determine the API calls.

Thanks for the quick reply @Christian_Kittel

Did you do this with packet capture? I thought the communication was under https so that wouldn’t be possible?

Did this binding end up supporting two-way? In particular I want to be able to set the thermostat to eco mode or turn off when house is not occupied.

@Christian_Kittel Thank you for your work so far! I have 10 of these in my house, and with the varying energy prices in Norway (new price each hour) I need to control this in a smarter manner than what the app offers.

What is the status of 2-way comm? I tried to set the manual setpoint value via the cli interface, but nothing changed in the app.

Hi @seime

i will investigate that. What does the thermostat display show?

After investigation it works for me.

I wrote a little rule:

events.sendCommand('BathRoom_FloorRegulationMode', 'manual');
events.sendCommand('BadOJElectronicsOWD5MWD5Thermostat_ManualSetPointTemperature', '22');

The display of the thermostat and also the app show 22°C (in the thermostat not in the thermostats group).