Interesting: Z-Wave to MQTT

Really interesting, thanks!

But as I see it, the official integrations would all depend on proprietary / non Open Source solutions (Z/IP, Z-Ware).

Reading this seems to limit the possibilities for Open Source software to integrate with Z/IP:
https://silabs-prod.adobecqms.net/community/wireless/z-wave/forum.topic.html/z_ip_gateway_andopensource-fufi

So this may not be a realistic option for Open Source Home Automation solutions, or am I missing something?

I remember reading from Chris that they said they were going to release the standards by the end of last year but that didn’t happen.

In the latest release a new serial developers guide was included but no static controller firmware. Possibly it will happen possibly it will not.

There are some advantages of going down the Z/IP route because the silicon labs developers take care of some of the complexity. The downside is the interfaces are not that nice and you are tied to third party library. If you use the C API it is here as a public. GitHub - Z-WavePublic/libzwaveip: libzwaveip - Control Z-Wave devices from your IP network I have not checked if the version packaged in 7.15.02 is the same as the public. There are some example client apps in C in the examples directory.

And this is what I was saying about the changes impacting the interface on the serial interface.

In LR the nodeID is changed to 16bit to allow more nodes on the controller.

5.1.8 Long Range Support
The Z/IP Gateway now supports Z-Wave Long Range. As a prerequisite, the attached SerialAPI module must be using firmware 7.15.0
or later. To accommodate the 16-bit nodeIDs used in Z-Wave LR, a number of Z/IP Command Classes have been updated. These include
ZIP_ND, Network Management Inclusion, Network Management IMA and others. Furthermore, a new value for the Bootstrapping Mode
Information Type has been defined for use with the Node Provisioning Command class.
Z-Wave End-nodes built for the US RF region using SDK 7.15.0 or later can be included in either normal or Long Range mode. SmartStart
entries using the Long Range value for the Bootstrapping Mode Information Type will include the matching node in Long Range mode
instead of normal mode. These SmartStart entries can for example be created with the command-line sample app included with
libzwaveip.

Anyone integrating below Z/IP might well end up chasing a never ending set of changes to the serial API and all the version management between controller firmware and their software.

@robmac
I see many 700 Series sticks nor referring to SerialAPI. Does that mean the standard has been released? I also found a Youtube video mny Aeotec showing how to use Home Assistant & zwavejs2mqtt with their products.

I have not checked since last week and the only firmware was still the bridge controller. Perfectly easy to fix up so it works but I will check again. I would think they bodged it.

There is also a version of openzwave that is unsupported that can use a 700 controller.

What is more interesting is that Fibaro are falling into line with previous requirement and going Z/IP. It will be interesting how that goes.

As we already discussed earlier today, the standard is not released to the public yet. It was meant to have been released last year, but is still being reviewed by the Alliance before release. I was told by one of the ZWave leads at Silabs a few weeks back that it would be “any day now” - I’m not holding my breath, but let’s see…