Is google asistant integration no longer maintained?

@MARZIMA is the original author of the binding

One post was closed because it became a 1000+ long thread where there was troubleshooting taking place for dozens of issues all at once. It was not usable and not the way the forum is supposed to be used. So that one thread was closed to encourage users to start new threads for each new issue that comes up and use this forum properly.

ok , so no problem, I understand @rlkoshak , but we still have an impression of abandonment ,and it’s very frustrating :frowning:

You are aware that openHAB is an open source project maintained by volunteers?

1 Like

yes I know,In this case, just say, “we do not have the time” and gave keys someone else who can develop, rather than saying, I look and finally do nothing :slight_smile: No ? I like openhab, really, but I like also good communication :slight_smile:

1 Like

There are still threads not beeing commented/answer in anyway. (I as well as others have posted issues about the heating mode troubble on the Nest Hub not working, but working fine using the Google Home app). Its quite frustrating when there simple isnt any respons at all. Maybe this isnt a openhab issue at all. But without any answers, no one knows.

Ofcouse we are aware of this. I believe this is why Gytis raise this problem.
This is the most important problem to try to handle in an open source project maintained by volunteers.
When an serious feature seems to be abandonded its important to place a focuse on the matter and try get someone else to continue. We cant know if Marzima have abandonded the integration. But when things arent moving in development, we´ll have to assume he has. And then try someone to catch it and continue.

In my opinion it is a highly serious matter, cause I believe the integration of voice control (wether it beeing Google, Alexa are anything else) is highly important for a smarthome system.

1 Like

Absolutely agree.
Such an important feature cannot be left in the hands of one single volunteer : he may become unavailable, may have not enough time or enough motivation anymore.
Here we are not talking about a small bug for a binding with limited audience , but one of the 2 main voice interfaces for the whole openHAB ecosystem.
I know many people are choosing OH2 and not other because it allows (free) integration with Alexa and Google Assistant.
Moreover in this case is not just a matter of maintaining the code (something that has been done by other volunteers but their PR has not been processed since months), but also updating the new code to the myopenhab cloud which no single contributing github volunteer developer can do.
So as a volunteer I may fix/improve the code on github, make a PR request, run the improved code on own my instance, but users with regular myopenhab will not benefit of my improvements until the single maintainer accepts the PR and deploys it on the cloud.

Hi think @ maintainers should give an indication of what is going on with Google Assistant support in OH2 so that people can decide wether to look to other systems or not.

2 Likes

we need a concrete answer from @MARZIMA ,and open the cloud and google assistant to other developers

1 Like

It is all on github, so feel free to contribute.

1 Like

Let’s just not get into blame ping-pong here. I think every contributor went into this with best intentions, and then simply life happened. And it’s perfectly normal.

And I also don’t think that anyone should feel entitled to anything - answers to questions, support requests, or changes and bug fixes. I think nothing puts maintainers off than this attitude of entitlement in the community…

Regarding ‘It is all on github, so feel free to contribute.’. Yes it is, but no one is looking at that repo… there are simple one-line PR’s with no comments, merges or rejects, one of them since August. So it’s not inviting to contribute, if you’ll spend your time adding features or fixing bugs, but no one is going to get a look at it :slight_smile:

The last thing I wanted with this thread is to cause a flame and blame game, but it seems that I have not succeeded in that.

Anyhow, I’ve started my own implementation based on item metadata, if life will not happen, it should be a pretty good self hosted solution. Peace.

8 Likes

Very good @gytisgreitai !!
We can help in case you decide to make it available for other to test (we suggested in the past if a beta cloud instance for google assistant could be used for testing with some users new traits and bug fixes, but maybe this is not possible?)
When finished, will you post a PR ? so that maintainers can do something with it, hopefully.

@Stbowling throw’s water balloons on everyone :bomb: uh wait… that’s not a balloon :thinking:
Never expect anything and always be thankful for any support these here fine folks are willing to provide on a volunteer basis. For what they do for free here most probably could retired if they were making what they deserve. And remember… "We are OpenHAB Strong :muscle: "

Steve-

I agree to all you said! My statemwnt was more toward the second aet of the sentence, which I quoted.

1 Like

Those PRs you refer to are updates to the documentation but as you can see, they have failed the travis test and the authors did not check or comment why they failed.
What should mainainters do in these cases, what do you think ?

Well for example this looks like a good example Corrected filename in README.md by paul-pearce · Pull Request #410 · google-home/smart-home-nodejs · GitHub what might actually work. Again, I don’t want to play ping pong blame here.

It is not about blaming, but what do you want to tell us with that link you posted?
Like with any other openHAB binding, if the original author, for whatever reason, does not find time for adding features, and no other developer/contributor steps up, there will be no additional features.
Its simply the same for openHAB 1.x Bindings not being moved to a native openHAB 2.x version. Voluntary developers are free to chose what they are working on, nobody can force them what to do.

Your question What should mainainters do in these cases, what do you think ? so to answer that, I think that they could simply point out, just like Fleker in my example ok, looks good, jus do the sign off

And it’s fine to not have time to continue development. Just afaik that in this case it would be nice to create issue/add to the readme ‘no longer maintained, help wanted’. I mean to me it’s unclear if someone wants to take over or to help what are the steps ? Are there procedures who can merge, etc. Therefore this thread.

Ok, understand your example.
Regarding your second question, anybody can contribute code to the different repos. Except Z-Wave and Zigbee Binding, the maintainer group are the only ones to merge or reject PRs, whereas anybody can comment on a PR.

I have checked the repo and both PRs could have been merged due to the small patch exception policy.
I don’t think that anyone has looked at them already.

This is the same problem we hav in other repos too.
Only a few (or in this case 1) selected maintainters, which seem to be very busy those days.
It’s opensource and we have to deal with that of course.
Anyway it could be named as a “problem”.

And one step further:
Even if we find one to help out in this repo ther is still no shared knowledge about pushing an update to google.
This is something that should be shared/clarified too, to a wider audience.

2 Likes

When things stops in developement, “someone” needs to put it into focus. Otherweise this will become a big problem for the open source project.
This time Gytis, (a user), did that.

I have to be honest with you. I know what I´m about to say it may not be a popular opinion, but it´s how it is. I simply cant help telling my opinion when things like these appears.

In my opinion, its a task for the board of the foundation to put any kind of problem (which can/will hurt the goal of the project/openhab) into focus. That beeing lack of developement and/or missing propoganda for openhab or anything else.
The foundation is in charge of placing the strategy for openhab as well. Ie, where to go, and how to get there.

This doesnt mean the foundation has to solve all problems themselves. But they need to put it into focus and try to deal with it, like trying to get new/more developers, as well as maintainers to continue where others left, just as well as telling/showing the rest of the world about openhab.

Thats my basic opinion.

It doesnt mean anyone else (developers, maintainers and users) who care for the project shouldnt take this into consideration as well. We all should. But we have to be clear on this rather specific matter. First of all, its the foundation. If/when the foundation doesnt, it will fall apart one way or another.

Exactly!

1 Like