Is google asistant integration no longer maintained?

Yes, this is exactly how I use the current integration right now

Hm this is strange. I also have Alexa, but haven’t really noticed this. Can you given more examples? Like is it for simple things like “Turn the light on” or complex ones “Dim kitchen light?”

Afaik it would require changes in OH instance, and you still need approved/self hosted solution to sync devices

You’re more than welcome here on the openHAB forum. We share the same passion, just use a different solution :slight_smile:

1 Like

@rlkoshak

Just let it go. Go to your account preferences, select the Users menu and add him to the Ignored list. That’s what I have done. I’m no longer wasting my time reading his assays about how everyone except for himself must do something for the community. If it’s coding, then he can’t code, if it’s going though a list of repositories looking at the dates of the last commit then he doesn’t know how, if it’s organizing then he wants others to do it. The list goes on and on and on.
It’s a total waste of time and energy drain.

You keep on saying “they´re not willing to”. Did it ever occure to you, that maybe they CANT!.

You should get your facts right! I actually said I would.
But it´s pointless unless it gets organised and structured. Otherweise it will end up the same, cause thats whats missing in the first place. You may disagree upon that part, but then you´ll have a problem explaining how come this thread ever got started in the first place.

I find it highly destructive blaming anyone for not knowing “how to”, when they offering their help.

You had about twenty posts time to think about some orga yourself, but you have chosen to post here instead.

If you need a fixed structure, develop it yourself and present it to the community.
No one will do that for you, since it would be the wrong one anyways.
You want someone, who gives dedicated tasks to you and this instance is not existing.
That has been said enough times now.
You have to start yourself and get an overview.
That’s what I have done too as I startet contributing to the docs and it was the same for other parts and events I am helping out now.
I got an impression of the base and found tasks that I am able to solve.
No one poked me or have me a description/blueprint.
So maybe it is time to stop posting here and dig into the GitHub repositories.

And as a second statement like days ago:
This is the wrong thread for this discussion and should have been continued in a separate place.

1 Like

Yes even the simple “turn light on” take a variable 1-2s more on GH than Alexa, same light, same binding to control the light, same OH instance. This happens always to me.
Maybe the difference could be your connection goes through different myopenhab backends? (They depend on location, I am in Italy)

I Just read briefly in the Local Home SDK docs and they state the home device should not be changed. What they say you should do is create javascript code to be run by Google on the GH device which invokes your home device using local connectivity. Sort of transfer the cloud part of the google Assistant integration to be run on the google home device.
In our case the local home device is of course OH Rest APIs.

From the docs
the Local Home platform scans the user’s local area network using mDNS, UDP broadcast, or UPnP to discover smart devices

So afaik local openhab instance would have to expose item via mDNS/UDP/UPnP . I am not tha familiar with openhab but could not find anything with a quick google search?

@All,

I am out of this Thread.
It went in many strange directions from community members, I still don’t understand.

It is also frustrating for me to read how minimal this integration is valued. I will add the last feature hubs and release it, afterwards maybe gonna fade me completely out. No matter if there are volunteers or not.

@rlkoshakis right:
People invest free time, develop a base for all of us since we are a big family. This doesnt mean that the maintainers or initiators are your free developers and will always implement new features. I think they should at least look that the released stuff is working and check that it is secure etc.

As from this whole discussion I just learned that it is not worth to spend so many time actively in this OH GA project. I mean why should I when there will be new ones created beside this project and no willing to join or improve the existing repo? I always could have created a version running for my self hosted system, but rather tried to make it an official integration. The whole current GA integration is fine and maybe need some small features added/adjusted. So I see your points as a luxury problem. Of course it can always be improved, but to call it not maintained is a strong missvaluation. Taking in consideration how happy all been with it 3-4 months ago.

It is the overall moral /mindset here and how the community thinks. Maybe I should invest my energy to other OH projects where they need me. Or I will start a new project for an openHAB feature missing for long.

I am not pissed, I am just tired of the ego tripping. I ve no time to write 1000 posts here for the same fact: No one wants to make hands dirty. There was one contributer helping out. You guys started to open threads with „…no longer maintained…“ even there been PRs merged. But the feature hubs you wanted to get in as quick as possible where missing. You guys dont pay my bills. If you want a project where the „maintainer“ will work non stop for your requests all time, please first pay him. It is hard hearing this, but otherwise you wont recognize.

You can’t expect that volunteering people (even thos started the efforts) will forever develop on that project. We are a community NOT a marzima-tity.

Really need to re-think the future of this integration and my involvement.

BR Mehmet

6 Likes

I can reiterate what I already said: I don’t find Tag solution flexible enough and like the metadata idea better. You did not like this approach as I understood from this thread, quote ‘Good look with your Approach’. I also like typescript better, and creating node app instead of deploying it via google functions. And well, it’s always easier to just say screw it, no backwards compatibility. So sometimes it’s easier to start from scratch and rewrite everything. Plus, as I always stated I’m more targeting self hosting stuff than trying to take away someones Ego and create an official integration. And the most important thing - I find it fun what I’m doing and how I’m doing it - fun coding, fun learning. I don’t care if it goes to trash bin the next day, or no one uses it. “Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time”

Yes, and no. The whole point of voice control is to be able to talk conveniently like ‘Arm’ instead of ‘Turn the alarm on’ or ‘Lock the door’ instead of ‘Turn the door on’ or ‘Open gate’ instead of ‘Turn gate on’ and have those nice related device icons. Luxury? At least not to me.

If I offended you by opening this thread, or if you are offended by effors, please accept my appologies.

1 Like

So isn’t it time to close this thread? Even the thread title is negative.
Will someone open a new thread, positive and productive GA integration (I would but not qualified to do so YET).
Thank you All,
Looking forward to advancing toward an enthusiastic thread!

Steve-

1 Like

I hope the two of you are real pleased with yourselves. You’ve burned off another talented developer

1 Like

You understand really little.
The MetaData idea was decided together with other Alexa Team. It will be added to GA, but was not already done. We are in sync but again it remains on my shoulders.

You opened a thread full of untruth and blames e.g. code is a mess etc. Now you want to apologize? Are you serious?

You need to learn a lot and your approach refers to the fact that you re actuallY complaining but didnt help anyhow to improve sth. I have no time to deal with people like you. The only thing I can leave you is, that a real integration is not a kindergarten. As soon you will understand what it means to maintain a project, you will be as quite as possible.

I have no problem if you want to create a second GA Integration. I can possibly retire „the mess“ :laughing: and we can all switch to your great code. I would be thankful, so it is not the bad marzima who didnt merge those endless PRs :wink:.

All good, but you thread was simply Bullshit (sorry I am always direct).
Good luck with your approach and the start from the beginning.

To the rest of the community, as mentioned I will need to rethink my involvement.

BR Mehmet

In the opening post I’ve asked why was tag approach chosen yet somehow only when you became infuriated you managed to say that I understand very little? I asked if there is a roadmap ? You could have said that

Well if you are direct, you should also be able to reflect on yourself and be honest with yourself about the code

• code is a mix of var/let/const without any consistency
  • exact error and success functions are copy pasted inline (12 instances)
  • query, execute sync tucked away in the same file
  • authToken, reqCommand, params is extracted in each in every handler repeating it.

So I’m not saying my code is perfect and etc, but if you believe there are no issues with yours well… Does it work ? Yes. Is it a mess ? Yes.

If there is such a negativity to someone just because someone started a fork, then I’ll just to it right now, and you can continue by living in peace.

Is there a language barier?
def: working - something that performs it’s tasks
def: maintained - something that is constantly being looked after and improved

First : My english isn’t perfect lol

@MARZIMA

I think, we are a lot of people to like what you did for Openhab and Google assistant. And I thank you personally :slight_smile: , but there have been several months without communication on some problems.
I feel that people who can help (developers) do not invest without a request. that’s why I think on the forum, we need a specially area for the others developer/user to ask for help when he can no longer maintain. May be at this moment a guy will work on your code.
Your code suits me every day :heart: , it’s true that some feature additions will have been perfect.

Thank you again @MARZIMA

@gytisgreitai

I follow your job because I find it really interesting (although I have not yet understood everything lol) :slight_smile: , you think you can create a new post with only progress ? please. To talk with users… etc

2 Likes

I’ve asked the moderators to delete this thread and to deactivate my account. It seems that I caused too much of a stir and broken hearts, so no need to continue in this manner

I will update my progress on github readme as/if I move along . Peace and have a great weekend.

I think openhab need people who work on google assistant. you must not leave, some of us are following your work :frowning:

Another strange guy how tries to sabotage openHAB.
Are you getting paid for this?
:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

Where do you see a sabotage ?

You guys are so dysfunctional. Chill out.