Is it better to install Influxdb on another VM?

I’m installing OH2 on virtual machine on Intel NUC. Is it better to instal OH on one VM and InfluxDB and Grafana on another VM or install Influx and Grafana on the same machine as OH2 ?
How do you have it installed? On the same system (PC, VM, Docker) or on another?

Thank you for response.

I have a separate container (OpenVZ) for openHAB, InfluxDB (with MySql) and Grafana (with other web services). Nice to keep them separated IMO, although I am no expert. Easy to maintain backups and if something goes wrong with one you only have rollback that one VM back to that last backup.

Depends. Do you only use that database for graphing purposes? If so, yes, I would put OH on a vm and the other two on a different vm.

In my case, I use mariadb. I query the mariadb database with rules for changed since and the like. I don’t want the added latency of networking or the risk of OH being up but the grafana/db server being down for updates. I have grafana standalone and it queries the OH vm’s database with a readonly user.

As Moxified says, it depends on what you are using it for and what you are worried about. If your InfluxDB is going to be heavily used by other services you might want to run it on a separate VM.

Personally, I run OH, Mosquitto, InfluxDB, and Grafana all in separate Docker containers and all on the same modestly provisioned VM with their storage NFS mounted from my NAS:

• 2 vCPUs
  • 8 Gig RAM
  • 4 MB Video card

This is on an ESXi hypervisor running on an Intel i3 CPU (i.e. not a high powered machine) and it runs very well.

I also run InfluxDB on a separate VM but that is because I already have a decent amount of services/VM’s running. I may use the database for other purposes so it makes sense to keep things isolated.

I had an issue with one of my datastore drives a while back. It’s easy to forget just how much you have running until something like that happens.

I have all 3 (OH2, Influx & Grafana) on the same host (a laptop running Debian 8)
No problems so far (1 year+ of experience). The system has plenty of RAM (8Gigs) and a good (i5) CPU.