Is it possible to upgrade Tradfri or Hue hardware firmware without their hubs?

Yes, there have’t been any changes in it for a long time, but I know it is being used by DT so I believe it should work still.

This isn’t coming from the device - this is a notification from the coordinator.

Ok, but it would be good to get going in OH. If you like, please open an issue on GH and I will look at it when I get time (maybe over Christmas). I will only implement it as a console option in OH though since getting it working though PaperUI is a lot more hassle (although it is possible - I’d need to create more software to handle file system issues as per OH interfaces and it’s not worth the effort).

Done: OTA firmware update via OH console · Issue #523 · openhab/org.openhab.binding.zigbee · GitHub

I see.

Ok, I’ll give it another try then. I’ll make sure to send some commands to the device first to see if it is responding correctly.

2 Likes

@chris

I tried again with a recent version of the ZigbeeConsole, but the result is the same.

I made sure the endpoint is responding. I can turn it on/off and info works as well:

Node Info     Value
APPVERSION    17
DATE          20160927
HWVERSION     1
MANUFACTURER  IKEA of Sweden
MODEL         TRADFRI bulb E27 WS�opal 980lm
STKVERSION    87
ZCLVERSION    1

> off 16972/1
Success response received.
> on 16972/1
Success response received.
09:38:46.121  DEBUG  Transaction cancelled: ImageNotifyCommand [OTA Upgrade: 0/0 -> 16972/1, cluster=0019, TID=18, payloadType=0, queryJitter=67, manufacturerCode=4476, imageType=8705, newFileVersion=304223602]

Unfortunately the only other devices I have OTA files for, are all on the most recent version already. I think I have another Ikea 600lm bulb somewhere, I’ll try with that one too, but I expect the result to be the same.

What “recent version” do you mean? Are you compiling it yourself? If not then it will likely be the same version.

I don’t really have time to look over this at the moment. I have a lot of Osram bulbs that have been used for OTA testing in the past, and some Bitron devices, but at the moment I need to focus on other issues.

The error simply looks like the device is not responding to the request. Can you also provide me the XML for this device? Also, can you provide the full log from the sending of the command to the reception of this error.

I just re-downloaded it from your website and expected it to be a newer version, so it’s probably the same.

No problem. I just wanted to make sure the device is responding to commands to rule out a general communication problem.

Sure:

ota_tradfri_debug_log_20191125.txt (545.7 KB) 000B57FFFEB1BAB5.xml (73.9 KB)

Yes - I’ve not updated it for a long time.

I’ll take a look at the log… Thanks.

1 Like

Can you also try the cmdsupported command - I think it should be cmdsupported endpoint 25 to get the list of commands that this bulb supports in the OTA cluster. Even if something isn’t supported, the device should really still respond, but who knows…

This is with info level, let me know if I should run it with debug:

Supported generated commands for client cluster OTA Upgrade (0019)
CommandId  Command
       1  QueryNextImageCommand
       3  ImageBlockCommand
       6  UpgradeEndCommand

Supported received commands for client cluster OTA Upgrade (0019)
CommandId  Command

Also, do you think the device will respond with an error message if the firmware is for another device?

Looking at the code I’ve seen there’s a constant INVALID_IMAGE(0x0096), so I expected to get an error response if the firmware is not the right one.

The reason I’m asking is that IKEA has a few firmware images for bulbs and I’m not 100% certain I’m using the right one.

I’m using 10035514-TRADFRI-bulb-ws-1.2.221.ota.ota.signed, but there are others:

• 10035515-TRADFRI-bulb-cws-1.3.009.ota.ota.signed
  • 10035534-TRADFRI-bulb-ws-gu10-1.2.221.ota.ota.signed
  • 10038562-TRADFRI-sy5882-bulb-ws-2.0.022.ota.ota.signed
  • 159695-TRADFRI-bulb-ws-1000lm-1.2.217.ota.ota.signed
  • 159696-TRADFRI-bulb-w-1000lm-1.2.214.ota.ota.signed

159695-TRADFRI-bulb-ws-1000lm-1.2.217.ota.ota.signed could also be the right firmware for this bulb. It’s hard to tell just by the name.

Interesting - it doesn’t seem to support any received commands. Strange. If it doesn’t support the notify received command that might explain things, although it is meant to respond with a “command not supported” response, and not just ignore it.

Yes, it should do - I’ve tested this with other devices. It won’t know this until the transfer starts though, and the transfer doesn’t start in your log.

I think somewhere I have a Tradfri bulb so when I get a chance I will try this.

Great, thanks. Let me know if you need some firmware files. The files from the IKEA feed are somehow packaged but can be converted to regular zigbee files with deconz.