Is openHAB always this fragile? JSONPath or any other transformation won't install

I’ve been running openhab for a couple of months and it’s getting to be more than a little frustrating. Out of the blue my zwave devices stopped actually connecting. They were stuck in request_inf according to hab admin. After 4 days of reboots, etc I decided to just re-install all of openhab because restores, updates, etc weren’t getting ANYWHERE AT ALL. Finally got that working yesterday and things seemed to be working. I accidentally deleted a rules file and went to redo it, which requires the JSONPath transformation. Now that won’t install. None of the transformations will. So I google it and see the suggestion to try and delete the cache and tmp directories. So I do that. Now NOTHING WORKS. EVERY add-on is now throwing exceptions left and right and none of the UIs work AT ALL. I didn’t update ANYTHING, I simply deleted the cache and tmp directories. So now I have to go try all of my backups and spend god knows how much time trying to get this to work. Is this normal? It seems everyone claims they run openhab with no issues, yet I seem to run into issues all the time. Am I the only one?

Anyone have any idea why none of the transformations will install anymore while I’m complaining?

What OH Version are you using?
What JAVA Framework is installed on your machine?
How did you install OH?

I think you might have problems due to incompatibilities with either the JAVA version or some missing dependencies on your system.

Im using OpenHAB2 2.4 Release
Java 1.8
Installed OpenHAB on my windows box following the instructions in the wiki.

Did u delete the folders tmp and cache or only the contents? You should not delete the folders themselves.

I also get that error u possibly refer to (please post the error) and it is always just after cleaning the temp and cache folders that it occurs, if you stop and restart openhab service a few times they seem to go away as the cache is recreated. I don’t know if it is coincidence but it seemed to start the moment I started using code from after the removal of esh. Before that time I never saw the errors. Loading a good backup and the issue is gone, I then update the backup with the newer changes I wish to use and the ‘fault’ returns.

I just deleted the contents, not the actual folders themselves.

The error I’m getting also happens when I try to install the MQTT binding.

It’s:

2019-03-02 23:33:04.969 [ERROR] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed installing 'openhab-binding-mqtt': Error:
	Error downloading mvn:org.apache.karaf.jaas.blueprint/org.apache.karaf.jaas.blueprint.config/4.2.1

I get it for any of the transformations as well.

Since you are running on Windows, did you have a look at this:

Yes, I verified that I have the JDK installed and that JAVA_HOME is pointing to that. I still get the error when trying to install any binding. I have quite a few bindings installed and never had this problem. It just appeared last week sometime. I’ve even restored backups from points where I could install things fine and it no longer works.

Are you able to access this url (of yourse without MVN as prefix)? since it came out of nowhere could it be that your access to the MVN repo is somehow blocked? Either by a firewall or by your provider?

On the other hand, could it be that OH is missing some user rights on your system so that it cannot download the files since local access to the folder is blocked?
Unfortunatley i’m on Linux so i can’t tell you which folder that might be…

Yes I could access it directly.

I just gave up and deleted the entire install and re-installed with 2.5 Milestone 1 and spent some time copying files from my latest backup to get the items to show up again. I also completely deleted Java and re-installed. Their latest security update seemed to not play we with OpenHAB 2.4, but mine wasn’t acting right so I can’t swear to that.

I think I have everything back to normal now, that was a little easier than I expected. I don’t use .item files so I had to read how to get all my “things” back. Everything seems to be working now. So I guess something, somewhere got corrupted. I wish I knew what, I don’t know if it was in OpenHAB or in Java.

Thanks for the suggestions.