Is the MAX! system still usable in 2023?

The manufacturer let the system die years ago, but the thermostats still work flawlessly. Only problem is, the Ethernet-Bridge (MAX!Cube) is loosing its settings on a regular basis, and you need to visit all devices to get them connected again, and then set all the timings in the app again. Seems to be a common problem with this system.
For the Max!Cube, there is a working Binding in openhab4, but that doesn’t change anything with the cubes dementia.
Alternative approach to use the system seems to be the CUL Wireless Dongle, which had a direct Binding for MAX! devices back in openhab 2.5, but i couldn’t find any info on what happend to it. FHEM seems to still maintain this option.

Is anyone else still using MAX! and can maybe share a sane approach for a connection to OpenHAB?

I would recommend this way, used it a long time until moving over to Shelly TRV

1 Like

Looks like there was a PR for adding maxcul support to OH3 but the author stopped using it:

I flashed 4 cubes to CUNx as @hmerk recommended 4 years ago they work since then.
The connection to openhab is done with homegear on its own raspi running version 0.9.23093010-3666 without any problems.
In total i run 59 MAX devices, 4 cubes, 2 wall thermostates, 16 window contacts, 37 radiator thermostates, and also have some devices as spare.
Whenever i find som Max devices on any marketplace i try to get them if the price is reasonable

2 Likes

That looks promising. I might actually have a CUL dongle in a drawer to try it with (not the first time i’m willed to solve this), and if i read that correctly i can follow your tutorial for this. If that works for me, i can still climb up in the attic to flash the cube.

I did not know the Shelly TRV until now. They look like a neat solution but are quite expensive.

If anyone is still interested in this: After having problems getting it to run with my usb cul device, I flashed my Cube and never looked back. Setup of Schedules with HomeGear is easy and doesn’t require any additional software like it was with MAX!. The LInking between Window Sensors and Thermostats is done via CLI and took a bit to figure out. Linking two thermostats in the same room took, me also some time, but it was worth it. Connection seems stable without any noticeable problems. Integration into openhab was no problem at all.

1 Like

No need for another Raspi. When you use openHABian, you can co-install homegear from the menu.