I just want to share this with you. Maybe you have a closer look at the Cloud-Service. First to be clear I am not a linux security expert!
Since one year I use openHab with its cloud service. Yesterday my wife called me: “all lights are on and its not possible to control them” (She did not turn on the lights).
- The openHab tasks are not running
- Restart does not work (also systemrestart)
- Manual start does not work
- apt-get upgrade does not work anymore (mysterious)
- “top” does not work anymore !! (mysterious)
- not one single log entry in openHab since the problem rises
- the raspberry pi has restared before this hole problem appears (seen into the linux logs)
- automatic updates are not enabled (hole system)
- only two things are installed: Oracle Java and openHab nothing more!
- the system is behind a FritzBox without any special network rules its not possible to reach the system from the internet, only via openHab cloud
- the pi runs for sure not with its standard password! (maybe the reason that nothing more happend)
In a conclusion since one year the system runs like a swiss clockwork. And now many weird things happend. In my opinion a hardware defect is unlikely. There was no power failure. Maybe there is a possiblility that the openHab cloud service was a gateway to get into the pi to compromise it!? I reinstalled everything. And everything is working fine now. Sorry that I dont have the time to work out in detail what happend. I only want to share this with you and I have to say thats mysterious. Maybe there is a securityproblem into the cloud.