Is there a reason why raspi-config isn't included in openhabian?

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Rasperry Pi
    • OS: Linux openHABianPi 4.9.35-v7+ #1014 SMP Fri Jun 30 14:47:43 BST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux
    • openHAB version: 2.4 -> 2.5.8
  • Issue of the topic:

I’d like to configure my pi 4 to use both hdmi ports. I’m still working on figuring out how to do this. (Is there a best approach with openhabian?) But in the process I noticed that raspi-config doesn’t appear to be installed. Is there a reason this isn’t there? Has all the functionality been brought into a different frontend? It doesn’t appear to be in openhabian-config…

Thanks!
Rudy

My understanding is that it was removed due to conflicts with openhabian-config.

Indeed. It is mentioned in the about menu:

Note that the raspi-config tool was intentionally removed to not interfere with openhabian-config.

Thanks! I don’t actually see that in the about menu, but then, it feels like there are a lot of different frontends where this “about” menu might be. I’m looking at the one at localhost:8080/#!/about/

Can you point me at details about where to find the documentation you’re talking about?

In case others find themselves here, I did find a pretty simple solution. I’m not certain it’s the best solution…

I used the information at these links to set my /boot/cmdline.txt and /boot/config.txt files.

in /boot/cmdline.txt: I added

video=HDMI-A-1:1600x1200M@60 video=HDMI-A-2:800x640M@60,rotate=180

This mostly seemed to work until late in the boot when suddenly the two displays were made to mirror each other.

so I forced the modes I wanted in /boot/config.txt with:

hdmi_group:0=2
hdmi_mode:0=51
hdmi_group:1=2
hdmi_mode:1=4
dissplay_hdmi_rotate:1=2

It still mirrored right at the end. I discovered and commented out the line below:

#dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d

That driver is designed to make a single display buffer so X can manage the displays as a single unit. I want to use it as two frame buffers.

There may be a more elegant solution, but this works.

Rudy

You can install raspi-config. But be very careful what you do with it and realize your system is not the same as the system from the maintainers, making it harder for them to help you.

sudo apt-get install raspi-config

Please have a look at these two screenshots from openhabian-config.
The first is the main menu. First menu entry is the way to get into the about menu.
In the second screenshot in between menu 30 and 50 you find the mentioned information.