Item repeats command over and over

I have three dimmers in my setup, they normally work great. Rules work, habmin looks good, everything normal as far as I can tell.

Normally when I slide the dimmer to turn them on or off the log shows some steps in between 0 and 100, which is probably normal. Sometimes when I use the slider to raise or lower the light, something gets stuck and the log shows it receiving one point in between over and over forever. This is when I tried to turn the lights off from some value to 0:

2016-02-04 21:46:28 - KitchenDimmer received command 22
2016-02-04 21:46:28 - KitchenDimmer state updated to 22
2016-02-04 21:46:28 - KitchenDimmer received command 22
2016-02-04 21:46:28 - KitchenDimmer state updated to 22
2016-02-04 21:46:29 - KitchenDimmer state updated to 22
2016-02-04 21:46:30 - KitchenDimmer received command 21
2016-02-04 21:46:30 - KitchenDimmer state updated to 21
2016-02-04 21:46:30 - KitchenDimmer state updated to 21
2016-02-04 21:46:30 - KitchenDimmer received command 17
2016-02-04 21:46:30 - KitchenDimmer state updated to 17
2016-02-04 21:46:30 - KitchenDimmer state updated to 17
2016-02-04 21:46:30 - KitchenDimmer received command 14
2016-02-04 21:46:30 - KitchenDimmer state updated to 14
2016-02-04 21:46:30 - KitchenDimmer state updated to 14
2016-02-04 21:46:30 - KitchenDimmer received command 9
2016-02-04 21:46:30 - KitchenDimmer state updated to 9
2016-02-04 21:46:31 - KitchenDimmer state updated to 9
2016-02-04 21:46:31 - KitchenDimmer state updated to 9
2016-02-04 21:46:31 - KitchenDimmer received command 15
2016-02-04 21:46:31 - KitchenDimmer state updated to 15
2016-02-04 21:46:31 - KitchenDimmer received command 4
2016-02-04 21:46:31 - KitchenDimmer state updated to 4
2016-02-04 21:46:31 - KitchenDimmer received command 3
2016-02-04 21:46:31 - KitchenDimmer state updated to 3
2016-02-04 21:46:31 - KitchenDimmer received command 1
2016-02-04 21:46:31 - KitchenDimmer state updated to 1
2016-02-04 21:46:31 - KitchenDimmer received command 1
2016-02-04 21:46:31 - KitchenDimmer state updated to 1
2016-02-04 21:46:31 - KitchenDimmer state updated to 13
2016-02-04 21:46:32 - KitchenDimmer received command 1
2016-02-04 21:46:32 - KitchenDimmer state updated to 1
2016-02-04 21:46:32 - KitchenDimmer received command 1
2016-02-04 21:46:32 - KitchenDimmer state updated to 1
2016-02-04 21:46:32 - KitchenDimmer state updated to 1
2016-02-04 21:46:32 - KitchenDimmer received command 1

This received command 1 will repeat until I quit openHAB. The other numbers like the 15 are from my clicking the slider again but it goes back to 1.

I have 16 z wave devices, are they repeating each other and being received as unique commands? A zwave storm of sorts? I hope someone knows, this is a crippling issue.
Thanks!

I just wanted to confirm that I have had that problem happen a few times. Just like you say it seems to get stuck in a loop and goes crazy. Only way I could stop it was to reboot like you did. I tend not to use the sitemap as much as I did when I was first setting OpenHAB up but when I do I get a little nervous it could happen again.

Anyone else seen this?

Hi,
I had once a similar problem. Have you configured/used some components of your slider/item in a rule?
In the end it turned out that I had an error in my rule syntax at a completely different location and somehow this led to a loop effect (if I remember correctly I misused a postupdate in the rule somehow).
Cheers
Björn

The only rules I have related to the dimmers are ones that turn the lights on when a door sensor is activated. I do have the lights in an association group so that manually switching the lights via the switch gets reported to openHAB. That is about it.

I haven’t done any configuration of the zwave network. All devices are connected to all others, I don’t think I need any to relay commands to a far away unit. Is the fact that I haven’t done anything for the network map an issue?
Thanks!

Issue created in Git few days ago.
I already was able to reproduce that using the new slider provided in classic UI with openHAB 1.8.1.
When happening, just close your browser and it will stop.
Major bug in 1.8.1.

I have not updated to 1.8.1, this was happening to me before it came out. While I hope there is a fix that comes of that issue, I think this is separate. Next time I will confirm, but I think closing the browser didn’t have any effect.

I’m having the same issue
Please help

I had a similar (same?) issue. And it played some kind of ping-pong when rules have been loaded (delayed by 30 secs / I’m on OH 2.5.6 and Jython).

Like ON/OFF for 20 times (or so), when a motion sensor send ON, and the rules turns it OFF directly after. Also with a remote, the commands are “multiplied”, very strange.

Also I could send commands, via PaperUI for example, and they where logged as successfully sent, but nothing happened at the devices - the entire home automation was “dead”.

The solution for me was to shutdown the computer, plug power entirely for everything, so USB hubs, and the Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 ZW090 have no power.

Restart, and then I also removed the OH cache folder, before starting OH.
The first run, when it builds the cache, things are also not running normal (other issues), so I let it run for some minutes, and then restart again - at that point everything is good again.

I had this “staccato-commands” twice, the last time I switched to a new computer, and I did not “unpower” the USB-chain, connected it to the new computer, set the USB-interface setting for the stick, all looked normal, but it wasn’t…

You may try to just remove the AeoTec stick from USB, to “unpower” it. I hesitate to do that, since that lead to a kernel panic when I tried it one time. Maybe it’s the hub, the computer, or whatever.

I guess the “staccato-commands” are a bug in the stick, so it would be interesting if people with this issue have the Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 ZW090.