Items, Sitemap & Rules Generator

Hi guys,

about 2 month ago I startet with openHAB and went through many difficulties like probably everyone of us …
I´m still at the very beginning, because first of all i had to set up the foundation for everything …
Wanted to run the thing on a machine, which is meant to run 24/7 … not just when I´m at home (makes sense, huh ? :slight_smile: )
So I installed it on my Synology NAS … but, the package there isn´t very stable, and i had many problems setting it up … therefore I decided to get a new NAS (not only because of this :slight_smile: ) Synology again … but with docker support …
I haven´t done anything with docker before … so you can imagine, that this also took time …
then persitence, then ETS config, then … etc, etc.
But, the biggest thing I startet is a “little” JAVA project, which generates my items (with switchlights, dimmlights, temperature and Rollershutters), my sitemap and the rules, which are meant to persist the proxyitems for my Groups with Calculations (Group:Number:AVG …)

That also got bigger and bigger and is now in a state, where it works quite ok for me …
I´m afraid, It´s not documented very good and the errorhandling is a mess. Because i start the generator over JUNIT Tests it´s ok, though .,… i can debug the thing and I just love exception breakpoints :slight_smile:

The template engine behind it is freemarker and i read the excel with this “horrible spreadsheet formatter” of apache :slight_smile:

Now, why do I teel you guys this ? …

Is anybody interested in creating such a tool (with me) for the community ?

It´s great to have such a tool, because you can easily test things … get rid of complexity by just generating the stuff of one room for example, try it out, and then enable all other items over the excel sheet (every item has a flag if it´s available for the generator), generate again and try it all together …

What do you guys think of this ?