Hi there, I was able to connect my SolarEdge SE17K inverter with OH3 over Modbus TCP binding. Thanks to the OH-community. With the UI I linked all available Channels with an Item and included the Equipment to my model whitch I implementet in my sitemap.
- Hardware: Raspberry 4
- openHAB version: OpenHabian, OH 3
I get some strange results: the “numbers” are very long - lots of 0 and therefoe not really readable, additionally the descriptions is cut off.
Question 1: How can I shorten the numbers?
Question 2: What do the two numbers in AC Lifetime Energy Production mean? 8.08464450E+20054 Wh
I know how to shorten numbers after the comma with the Metadata “State Description”, maybe there is a way to solve my problem.
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
If they are a unit of measurement then you can use a bigger unit in the state description. For example, “kWh” (kiloWatt Hour) instead of just “Wh” or even “GWh” (GigaWattHour).
That it’s a really freaking big number. Basically an 8 followed by over 20,000 zeros. In short, something is fishy with that value. That’s scientific notation so
8E+20054 is the same as saying
8 * 10^20054. See Scientific Notation and scroll down to “Other ways of writing it.”
If using different units don’t make sense in this context, then check the device and the binding as one or both are giving you bogus data.
Thank you Rich for your information about the horribly long number - got it. What the hell is SolarEdge or the modbus binding doing here?!
I set the State Description according to Rich to “GWh” which brings us one step forward: the value in the sitemap is not showing lots of “0” but this “8.08464450E+20054” and the describing text is visible. But abviously it isn’t the solution.
So question 1 is still to be answered: How can I shorten the numbers? Or how do I have tho deal with these values?
Modbus binding interprets 16-bit registers exactly as you tell it to. Look to your configuration, look to how Solaredge tell you to interpret the registers. It’s very easy to take registers A + B as a 32-bit number, instead of B +A, and get surprising results. Or interpret as float instead of integer. Or overlook the makers docs saying values are x100 (look at your AC Voltage value).
In this case, are you are using one of the binding extensions? They do a lot of this configuring for you. If so, did you allow it discover or manually force it?
Your zero values are just as suspicious as the oversized ones.
You don’t just shorten numbers. The number is what it is. You can’t just cut off a few thousand zeros and get the same number (assuming the same number of units). The scientific notation it’s using when it shows the number with “E” is about the only way to “shorten” the numbers. But that number probably doesn’t make sense in the first place so that is where you need to focus your attention. The really big numbers are a symptom of something else going wrong. Changing the format for how the number is displayed isn’t going the fix the wrong number.
This pointed me to the right direction. Thank you ever so much @rossko57 as well as @rlkoshak
What I did: I deleted all my modbus-things (unfortunately their status is after an hour still “removing”, hope they will disappear soon…) and then I used the scan function to add things and everything worded like a charm. My mistake was to manually create the things before they activated the modbus tcp of my inverter. Sorry for that - finally it was a piece of cake…
next step is to write some rules to manage different electricity “eater”. but that’s another story…