iZone Air Conditioning Controller Binding

Hi all,

I have released a binding for iZone AC Controller. With this binding you will be able to access most of the features on your iZone AC Controller.

To install this binding you will need to install Eclipse IoT Market add-on first under MISC in Paper UI. Install “iZone Air Conditioning Controller Binding" under Bindings.

For more details please go to https://github.com/tomitan100/org.openhab.binding.izoneac/blob/master/README.md

If you have any issue let me know.

Regards,
Tom

3 Likes

Thanks Tom!!

Works like a charm!

Have you looked at the izone lighting as well? and how hard would it be to add this to the binding?

apologies, but I do not code.

cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul,

You’re welcome. Unfortunately I do not have iZone lighting products to analyse what is being sent to the iZone controller. But if you are willing to get a bit dirty then I might be able to create a binding for it.

For this exercise you will need an Android phone/tablet:

1. If you haven’t already, install iLight Controller app from Google Play.
  2. Install tPacketCapture app (also available on Google Play). This app, while running in the background, will capture network traffic to/fro your phone/tablet.
  3. Make sure the iLight Controller app is not running in the background.
  4. Start tPacketCapture and hit the “Capture” button. It will ask whether you trust the application in creating a local VPN connection. Trust and continue.
  5. From now on do not do anything except open and use the iLight Controller app. We do not want too much of non-relevant traffic being captured.
  6. In the iLight Controller app, switch a few lights on and off, change a colour of a light, hit “All On” and then “All Off”.
  7. Exit the iLight Controller app.
  8. Go back to tPacketCapture and hit “Running” button. Follow the instruction on how to stop capturing.
  9. Go back to tPacketCapture then go to “File List” tab.
  10. Note the name of the file and the directory where the network data is captured. e.g /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/jp.co.taosoftware.android.packetcapture/files
  11. Now open your File Manager, locate this file with the pcap extension and email it to yourself. Or whichever means you prefer.
  12. Then PM me the file.
  13. You may now remove the tPacketCapture app if you no longer need it.

Regards,
Tom

Hi Tom,

I thought everything worked, but when I try the Setpoint channel, the temperature is set back to the previous temperature within a few seconds.

Any idea what this causes this?

Thanks for you help

Cheers, Paul[quote=“tomitan, post:1, topic:68233, full:true”]
Hi all,

I have released a binding for iZone AC Controller. With this binding you will be able to access most of the features on your iZone AC Controller.

To install this binding you will need to install Eclipse IoT Market add-on first under MISC in Paper UI. Install “iZone Air Conditioning Controller Binding" under Bindings.

For more details please go to https://github.com/tomitan100/org.openhab.binding.izoneac/blob/master/README.md

If you have any issue let me know.

Regards,
Tom
[/quote]

I was wondering if anyone else had reported issues with compatibility with Homethings… I can get the izone to turn on, but the temperature using the Setpoint doesn’t seem to appear in Homethings… but it does in the control… any suggestions? I’m at a loss.

Hi Paul,

I have just investigated this. I think it is because you were in Vent mode. Whatever temperature you set in that mode gets reverted back because it is not applicable. It is actually not a bug with the binding. This also happens on the iZone control panel (the touch screen) if you wait for up to a minute.

Should work properly if you are in Cool, Heat or Dry mode. Let me know if it does not.

Regards,
Tom

Which iZone model are you using?

Could you please paste the following (use your iZone IP address) in your web-browser and show the output here?

http://<your-izone-ip-address>/SystemSettings

Regards,
Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your response!!! And sorry for my late response. Life gets in the way sometime :slight_smile:

Been testing a bit and for some reason it does not work.

I’m on heating mode at the moment and whenever I change a set point, within seconds it changes it back.
——————
{“AirStreamDeviceUId”:“000021541”,“DeviceType”:“ASH”,“SysOn”:“on”,“SysMode”:“heat”,“SysFan”:“low”,“SleepTimer”:0,“UnitType”:“Hitachi”,“Supply”:“34.0”,“Setpoint”:“20.0”,“Temp”:“0.0”,“RAS”:“RAS”,“CtrlZone”:15,“Tag1”:“Home”,“Tag2”:“Narrabeen”,“Warnings”:“none”,“ACError”:" OK",“Id”:0,“EcoLock”:“false”,“EcoMax”:“30.0”,“EcoMin”:“18.0”,“NoOfConst”:1,“NoOfZones”:8,“SysType”:“320”,“AirflowLock”:“off”,“UnitLocked”:“false”,“FreeAir”:“disabled”,“FanAuto”:“3-speed”,“OemMake”:0}
——————

2020-07-19 08:02:11.319 [ome.event.ItemCommandEvent] - Item ‘izone_5_setpoint’ received command 19

2020-07-19 08:02:11.322 [nt.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - izone_5_setpoint predicted to become 19

2020-07-19 08:02:11.337 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - izone_5_setpoint changed from 20.0 to 19

2020-07-19 08:02:13.245 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - izone_5_setpoint changed from 19 to 20.0

——————

Could it be one of the settings on the system? I was thinking initially the master slave setting, but that’s not it.

All other settings are working perfectly. It is just the individual zone setpoint settings which are reverted back to the previous value. So the controller setpoint can be set without problems. Hopefully this helps.

And hopefully we can find a solution

Thanks heaps!!

Paul

Hi Paul,

Not sure how I missed your message! Looks like you have a newer version of the iZone panel. So you are saying your iZone panel allows you to set the temperature for each zone? Do you have an iZone panel (or temperature sensor) for each zone?

Could be just a bug in the code, which I will have a look.

Regards,
Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks so much for your responses regardless of the timing!! I have the same issue so no worries at all

on the subject, I have one touch panel from where I can set the temp, and airflow for each zone and in each zone I have a sensor with a button which then toggles the zone from off to climate.

let me know if you need anything else.

do you have already have any thoughts on OH3? will the binding still work?

cheers,

Paul

Wow. This looks amazing. Hoping someone can offer some basic advice…

I’m in the process of getting quotes to have iZone retrofitted to my home. The existing ducted reversible AC system has three zones with Kitchen/Living-room, Master Bedroom zones and a shared zone for Bedroom 2 (office) and 3 (guest room).

A contractor has provided a reasonable(ish) quote to provide an iZone controller, network interface, Tablet control panel, wireless temp sensors etc and to install with 4x new dampers, splitting the two bedrooms into their own zones. This is all good however they have suggested that my existing Fujitsu unit may not be compatible and as such the operation of the system might not be all that I wish for (though downplaying the importance of being able to control the setpoint, fan speed, modes etc).

I have been considering that if I am unable to control my Fujitsu ARTAxxLBTU unit with iZone then perhaps I can use a different approach with openHab rules taking on the core management and control of the system using iZone just as a controller for the damper motors and handling control of the Fujitsu system with an Intesis home automation controller Fujitsu RAC and VRF systems to Home Automation Interface (to remote controller) (intesis.com) which specifically states that it supports my model and also has an openHab binding.

My question is… if I were to purchase something like an iZone 155 Naked kit:

would I be able to use this interface to just control variable airflow of each of the connected dampers via this binding without expecting the izone system to become more involved in the process? I’m hoping that if I don’t have any temperature probes connected to the izone system then I can just configure and vary each zone e.g. zone 1 off, zone 2 40%, zone 3 100%, zone 4 80%. Is that how it works? Does that seem reasonable?

On a side note: I’m keen on the idea of using the iZone iSave feature which circulates fresh air from outside when appropriate for the required setpoint. Unfortunately this would not be practical/possible in our apartment due to space/ducting limitations. I have been considering the option of purchasing some US style window mounted fans and programming the system to monitor external temperature an humidity and when appropriate:

1. Lift the motorized roller blind in front of the fan unit if it is down (likely because those things aren’t attractive)
  2. powering on the fans
  3. placing the AC unit into fan only mode

When monitored temp/humidity changes to fall outside of the required setpoint then reversing the steps:

1. place AC unit back into cool (or heat) mode
  2. stop fans
  3. Lower roller blind in front of the fan unit if previously down.

This seems like it should work reasonably well. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Mick.