Java .io.ioexception error

I recently made a post in the showcase section for the Shadow of House (Generate SVG) section. I received some helpful information, but I continue to receive a Java error that I assume would be better dealt with here than in the previous post. The error follows. I suspect that are some config settings that I need to adjust, but I don’t know where. This is the first error encountered.

2020-01-20 18:03:56.346 [ERROR] [.jupnp.transport.impl.DatagramIOImpl] - Exception sending datagram to: /239.255.255.250: java.io.IOException: Operation not permitted (sendto failed)
java.io.IOException: Operation not permitted (sendto failed)
at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.send(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_232]
at java.net.DatagramSocket.send(DatagramSocket.java:693) ~[?:1.8.0_232]
at org.jupnp.transport.impl.DatagramIOImpl.send(DatagramIOImpl.java:156) [bundleFile:?]
at org.jupnp.transport.impl.DatagramIOImpl.send(DatagramIOImpl.java:149) [bundleFile:?]
at org.jupnp.transport.RouterImpl.send(RouterImpl.java:300) [bundleFile:?]
at org.jupnp.protocol.async.SendingSearch.execute(SendingSearch.java:90) [bundleFile:?]
at org.jupnp.protocol.SendingAsync.run(SendingAsync.java:52) [bundleFile:?]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:1.8.0_232]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:1.8.0_232]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:1.8.0_232]
2020-01-20 18:03:56.347 [ERROR] [.jupnp.transport.impl.DatagramIOImpl] - Details: datagram.socketAddress=/239.255.255.250:1900, length=94, offfset=0, data.bytes=94
2020-01-20 18:03:56.354 [ERROR] [.jupnp.transport.impl.DatagramIOImpl] - Details: socket=false, closed=true, bound=null, inetAddress=null, remoteSocketAddress=name:0.0.0.0, networkInterface=java.net.MulticastSocket@741e06d6

Thank you for your help

This is the key portion of that error.

Guessing that’s not a valid way of expressing an IP address.

239.255.255.250 is used for multicast DNS but not with a slash in front of it.

I’ve been chasing my tail all night long with this. Reloaded numerous times. That address is part of the installation script I’m guessing, I didn’t do it. How can I change it?? Also, since it deals with DNS, I use PiHole on my network, could that be causing any problems??

It deals with mDNS which is a totally different service and used for multicast discovery.

THe below is copy and past from my docker startup log, any hints here??

• initialize_volume /openhab/userdata /openhab/dist/userdata
  • volume=/openhab/userdata
  • source=/openhab/dist/userdata
    ++ ls -A /openhab/userdata
  • ‘[’ -z ‘html
    icons
    items
    persistence
    rules
    scripts
    services
    sitemaps
    sounds
    things
    tmp
    transform’ ‘]’
    ++ cmp /openhab/userdata/etc/version.properties /openhab/dist/userdata/etc/version.properties
    cmp: /openhab/userdata/etc/version.properties: No such file or directory
  • ‘[’ ‘!’ -z ‘]’
  • chown -R openhab:openhab /openhab
  • sync
  • ‘[’ -d /etc/cont-init.d ‘]’
  • sync
  • ‘[’ false == false ‘]’
    ++ IFS=’ ’
    ++ echo gosu openhab tini -s ./start.sh
  • ‘[’ ‘gosu openhab tini -s ./start.sh’ == ‘gosu openhab tini -s ./start.sh’ ‘]’
  • command=($@ server)
  • exec gosu openhab tini -s ./start.sh server
    Launching the openHAB runtime…
    KARAF_ETC is not valid: /openhab/userdata/etc

You need to examine the log entries before the ERROR to try to determine which binding is causing the error. Then you can put the binding into DEBUG and get more information on what’s causing the problem…