JPA with mysql database

In the wiki it states

In openHAB 1.8 the binding has been modified in that now only the embedded Derby driver is included. Drivers for other databases must be installed manually. This is a trivial process. Normally JDBC database drivers are packaged as OSGi bundles and can just be dropped into the ‘addons’ folder of openHAB. This has the advantage that users can update their drivers as needed.

Can this be translated in a dummy term? Where to get them? Ubuntu 14.04 seems i only have

sudo find /* -name "org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_*.jar" /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/lib/missioncontrol/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.0.v20140415-2008.jar /usr/share/openhab/server/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.0.v20120522-1813.jar

If you, for example, want to use MariaDB’s JDBC driver, you need to download that driver from MariaDB’s website or installation (a lot of databases will install with the JDBC driver somewhere in its installed directory) and drop the JDBC jar file into OH’s addons folder.

If i understand correctly in Ubuntu the driver is installed with libmysql-java
so should i just symlink it to the openhab addons folder from /usr/share/java/mysql.jar?

That is what I would try first. I’ve only ever used the embedded drivers so can’t say for sure it will work based on what the wiki says that should work.

However, if you are using MySQL, why not just use the MySQL binding which will come with the JDBC drivers already. The JDBC binding is primarily there to support SQL databases that do not already have their own binding (e.g. Oracle, Postgres, SQL Server, etc).

Main reason - it doesn’t store strings in cyrillic.

This is what i get in logs
2016-05-19 20:30:01.696 [ERROR] [.p.m.i.MysqlPersistenceService] - mySQL: Could not store item 'weather_condition' in database with statement 'INSERT INTO Item162 (TIME, VALUE) VALUES(NOW(),?) ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE VALUE=?;': Incorrect string value: '\xD0\x9E\xD0\xB1\xD0\xBB...' for column 'Value' at row 1

I assume you configured MySQL to store cyrillic…

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/charset.html

If so I honestly have no reason to believe that the JDBC binding will work any better.

I know there are some Russian speakers on this forum, perhaps if you re-posted the question to ask what you are really trying to do (i.e. “How to use cyrillic with MySQL persistence”) you might catch their attention and get more useful help.

It’s all UTF-8

From what i understood is that the binding or openhab doesn’t send values in UTF-8