Just one Thing does not show details in basic UI, even if it shows online status, but it does not work

Hi,
I’ve updated from OH 3.1.0 to 3.2.0 (docker image openhab/openhab:3.2.0) a couple of days ago. Everything is looking good so far and nearly everything seems to work - but one Thing.

I have a Z-Wave thermostat which does not work show the details in the basic web view (settings/things). It just shows green “Status: online” but it does not work.

I’ve already deleted the cache and temp folders, does a couple or restarts and also try to actively REQUEST_NIF with the thermostat Z-Wave menu. As far as I understand, the logging in OH looks good so far:

Thing ‘zwave:honeywell_th6320zw_00_000:myzwave:tkitc_thermostat’ changed from ONLINE: Node initialising: REQUEST_NIF to ONLINE

All (about 50) other Z-Wave devices are working. The thermostat shows Z-Wave communication is ok on it’s display. I can’t find error messages in the OH logfiles.

When I try to change the temperature setpoint in habpanel from current 75 to 76, I will get the following messages in the logfile and it will fall back to 75:

2022-02-09 08:18:50.077 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemCommandEvent ] - Item ‘aKITC_Thermostat_Setpoint_Heating_Temp’ received command 76
2022-02-09 08:18:50.078 [INFO ] [penhab.event.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - Item ‘aKITC_Thermostat_Setpoint_Heating_Temp’ predicted to become 75.0

Maybe someone have an idea what’s wrong here. I never had this before and the thermostat is running since two years now without problem with OH.

Thanks

Basic UI is all about Items, not things.

The zwave channel type has probably changed a little, and you should now be using a Number:Tempertute type Item.

Do you think that because of the update from OH 3.1 to 3.2 the channel type has changed? Because it’s the same Z-Wave thermostat which I’m using since 2 years.

I’m not sure if I should include it again from scratch (and exclude before), or will it be ok to just change the type in the items file? I’ve configured everything with files - I only use the basic web GUI for checking/monitoring states of the things.

Don’t exclude anything.

I’ve no idea what may have changed in the binding. I think you can look up your device in the database to see when it changed.

Look at your channel - what type is it?
Look at your Item - is it matching type?

I’m harping on this because you show a command without units, and most zwave thermostats require units now.

I found something…

I’ve done a new Z-Wave device discovery scanning. In the in-box I’ve found the same node ID (26) but with the hint “Unknown Device: Z-Wave Node 026 (0039:0011:0008:1.3)” not in database?!

Is it possible that the new OH 3.2 Z-Wave device database has removed a device which was known in the previous version OH 3.1?

No idea - go and look

ok, thank you. I’ll try to switch to a different thread, which I’ve missed before about issues with this thermostat - sorry.

Story continued at

Note that the zwave channels do have units e.g. number:temperature type among others, you should link to matching Item types when sorted out.

Ok, I solved it. I’ve stopped the 3.2.0 bundle via CLI and installed and started the 3.3.0-SNAPSHOT bundle via CLI. After a restart of the OH docker container the the new bundle is active and the problems are gone :slightly_smiling_face:

Btw. I’ve also changed the units to number:temperature

Thanks a lot for your help!

Frank