K8055 and openhab2 - stuck

OH2 has a trick up its sleeve when running version 1.x bindings, it makes a “working copy” of .cfg in a file k8055.config. For completeness, with OH stopped, delete that file (it will get recreated). I don’t think it will help here though.

interestingly, i used the openhabian-config tool to switch to the daily unstable release and now i can access the web gui again. all my configuration remains. I’ll try switching back shortly… but in the meantime…

I grabbed another v1. binding from the same repo you provided (network camera) and by just placing the .jar in the /usr/share/openhab2/addons, then restarting OH2 it’s available in paperui - config - bindings.

so i then did the same for the velleman k8055 binding and that didn’t appear. strange… going to try manually creating the .cfg file and restart, see if that makes a difference…

@rossko57 I’ll give it a try and report back, thanks

ok,

so… i added k8055.jar to /usr/share/openhab2/addons and rebooted, but didn’t see it listed.
when i then tried adding the .jar file to /etc/openhab2/addons then rebooting, it was finally listed in the console bundle:list but not in paperui - configuration - k8055

build:list output

openhab> bundle:list | grep k8055
279 x Active x 80 x 1.15.0.202002261230 x openHAB k8055 Binding

That is odd see the link for file locations as /etc/openhab2/addons is not mentioned. :thinking:

I just checked on a fresh install of OH and /etc/openhab2/addons is not listed???

@H102, i’ve got the addon visible in the karaf console via /usr/share/openhab2/addons now mate. not sure why the legacy folder exists… i’ll try installing on another card later to see if it recreates it…

so… using karaf console, i can see it listed, however the tail logs show an issue… i’ve searched other posts, but those fixes don’t seem to have worked for me (yet)…

2020-04-10 12:50:42.697 [ERROR] [org.apache.felix.configadmin ] - [org.osgi.service.event.EventHandler, org.osgi.service.cm.ManagedService, id=383, bundle=97/file:/usr/share/openhab2/addons/org.openhab.binding.k8055-1.15.0-SNAPSHOT.jar]: Unexpected problem updating configuration org.openhab.k8055

I’ve sudo chown openhab:openhab on the file and restarted openhab2, also cleared the cache again, but still stumped…

Try restarting OH a few times to see if the error goes away.

seem to be stuck with “Unexpected problem updating configuration org.openhab.k8055” even after several reboots.

Not reboot just restart.

sudo systemctl restart openhab2

You can also try a different snapshot version.
https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/libs-pullrequest-local/org/openhab/binding/org.openhab.binding.k8055/

Just make sure to remove any other versions.

If you had no existing k8055.cfg in the correct folder, I would expect the binding to create one. I’m not sure if that is part of the install process, or if it is done at first binding start. Does it exist yet?

Hiya.

good shout, there was no .cfg in services generated automatically, i’ve previously tried letting it create one and creating one manually, both still give me the issue - unable to update .cfg mate.

i’ve tried two versions from that repo now, both show active in karaf console if i do bundles:list | grep k8055, i see

170 x Active x 80 x 1.14.0.201912122158 x openHAB k8055 Binding

however in the logs, i see

2020-04-10 16:43:48.507 [ERROR] [org.apache.felix.configadmin ] - [org.osgi.service.event.EventHandler, org.osgi.service.cm.ManagedService, id=390, bundle=170/file:/usr/share/openhab2/addons/org.openhab.binding.k8055-1.14.0-SNAPSHOT.jar]: Unexpected problem updating configuration org.openhab.k8055

could this be a permissions issue? i’ve run the permissions fix from the tool, but if i wanted to check them manually what would they be and which folder? etc/share/openhabian/services? chown openhab? 0655?

thanks again

Using the tool you shouldn’t need to manually change any other file permissions or ownership. If you want to check the files use ls -al in the directory.

I have no other suggestion for this error other than downgrading your OH version. :neutral_face:

See this link and the five steps to upgrade/downgrade OH versions.

Hiya.

thanks for the info.

i’ve had some success today… The k8055 is now consistently recognised by the raspbian OS (checking with dmesg & ls -al /dev/ shows it as device ttyAMA0) i can still control the board manually using the k8055 linux command (k8055 -p:0 -d:255 will turn all the lights on and report the current values)

More importantly, I now consistently see the items generated by my k8055.items file :clap:

so now i just need to get a little more familiar with OpenHAB and getting these items into a sitemap or dashboard. off to do some reading…

will almost definatly have more questions (for a new post at some point) but… just wanted to say a huge thanks for your help.

What fixed it? to be honest, i think it was a combination of things… on top of the install notes i posted previously, i’ve used the karaff console to install the compatibility tools, checked dmesg and the logs on openhab2:9001 to watch whats happening and then google until i resolved all the issues (took a while)… I’ve updated to the latest nightly build, changed the port ID of the board, attempted statically assigning a usb port by using vendor ID, HW ID and serial (it still wanted to use ttyAMA0, so i backed out of this)…

The one remaining warning (couldn’t update config) doesn’t seem to be affecting anything, not sure if this is because i have it statically configured or just haven’t gotten to actually controlling the board via HA2 yet… .

really appreciate all the help, so thanks again!