KNX - Advice on Blind Motors compatible with openHAB

will work, of course. The main reason having all actuators in the distribution box is to have them all in one place under control. Of course you can place any KNX actuator anywhere with access to the KNX bus - so of course somewhere near your windows in a cabinet… if it meets the local electrical regulations that is. Better double check with your electrician, if the power source is also able to power all your blinds simultaneously.

1 Like

Bit of an update on my research…I’ve now found some very suitable 24v SMI motors that will fit both my blind sizes (32mm and 40mm tubes). It’s been really difficult to find SMI motors for internal blinds of these sizes, but these ones from Vestamatic look great. Most SMI motors seem to be for external shutters and 10-20nm torque!

I’ll combine this with a KNX/SMI 24v actuator - probably this one (thanks for the shop link @marco_hoefle

I know this is a little more expensive that using basic motors and a basic KNX actuator, but as I have 8 blinds along a very long wall of windows, I needed something that i could daisy-chain the power to each of the blind motors - i don’t have room to run 8xPower cables all along the wall! That would be pretty ugly too!

Think these will be pretty quiet, have great control and be a much neater install with the single SMI cable carrying both the 24v power and the SMI signal from the actuator to the motor (I believe i need a 5 core cable).

Linking up with openHAB should be easy just like the rest of my KNX system. Then I can use a lot of logic in my oppenHAB - timing, sun position, etc, etc…

So higher cost, but i think the right thing to do. Sound do-able?

Are you sure about the motor? Should have an SMI in the name (see https://www.home4u-shop.de/media/pdf/66/9f/d7/Vestamatic_Motorenkatalog.pdf scheme of product names, page 4)

Good point - that’s odd, am sure it said SMI on the website - I think I need to contact Vestamatic to confirm which motors are compatible - thanks for spotting

In fact, I did not find any SMI motors from Vestamatic to buy via Internet. Maybe the only option is to buy it via tradesman

Yes - it seems that way :frowning:

Think this is the one i need LL-SMI-24-24/0,9Nm RB – Vestamatic

Can’t find it for sale anywhere - I’ve sent an email to Vestamatic to see if they can let me know of distributors

Got a reply from Vestamatic……

The motors you need are:

Item No. 01010202
Item LL-SMI-24-24/0,9Nm RB

The motor needs adaption to the tube - using a LL-A-Set (if 32 - we guess you refer to Decomatic from Benthin?). You also need a block to adapt the motor head to the bracket, a cable with JST connector and the LL-Progset / LL-Progset-Adapter to set the limits.

——

They are also getting back to me with a UK distributor