KNX1 to KNX2 Migration Steps

Hi @ csi_oh. Thanks for the reply. To be more specific I’m having trouble reading my valve positions and thought that your working solution might give me some hints.

For the things I have used:
‘’’ Type number: EG_gH_Val “Valve” [ ga=“5.001:<12/3/22”] ‘’’

Items:
‘’’ Number EG_gH_Val “Valve ist [%d %%]” {channel…} ‘’’

Sitemap:
‘’’ Text item=EG_gH_Val ‘’’

I think the issue is that it is not looking for a percentage, but after a couple of hours of reading I still can’t find out how to fix it.

Any ideas??

Thanks, Peter

Hi @Britaway,

First question: what’s being displayed in your sitemap?
Second question: did you have a look in your events.log (search for something like “EG_gH_Val changed from X to Y”?

Narrowing the issue:

• I’d double-check in ETS if DPT=5.001 is the correct DPT that the sensors (in your case the valves) are actually sending as 5.001
  • Plus (also in ETS) I’d check if the sensor’s channel is read-able by BUS participants

BR,
Christian

Hi Christian,
Thanks a lot for the reply. It’s a bit embarrassing but I have not been able to get the logs working after the update (I have started this project with 0 experience with OpenHAB, Code, SSH, etc…).
I set the priority to get the main house interface working, then Logs etc, but looks like I need to reconsider that.
I checked in ETS and 5.001 is correct. I was also reading the value before the KNX2 binding “upgrade” with the parameter ‘’’[ knx=“+<5.001:12/3/22”]’’’. In the Sitemap I see “Valve - %”.
I will move the focus to fix the log files then try the valves again later…

Cheers,

Peter

Hi @csi_oh,

So I have now got the logs working, but still stuck on valve percentage opening. I see:

2018-10-02 23:30:11.058 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Bad_Eltern_gH_Val changed from 0.44000000 to 0.08000000

So at least it is reading the number. In the paperUI I just see the value as 0% no matter what the real value is.

For items I have:
Number Bad_Eltern_gH_Val "Parents Bathroom Valve [%d %%]" <temperature> (gBad_Eltern, gH_Val, Heizung) { channel="knx:device:bridge:knx:Bad_Eltern_gH_Val" }

Things:
Type number : Bad_Eltern_gH_Val "Parents Bathroom Valve" [ ga="5.001:<23/3/22" ]

Sitemap:
Group item=gH_Val label="Valve flow" icon="heating"

I checked in KNX and 5.001 is correct. Any idea what could be wrong?

Many thanks,

Peter

I’ve decided to upgrade to KNXv2 :wink:

Very helpful instructions here, I’ve got my items and things updated and i can see my light switches going on/off in the log. Also see log messages when i press physical switches in my home - so comms must be good!

However, it seems to be sending a NULL to switch the light on/off - so that’s not working for some reason.

Here’s the log entry when i use the Openhab Paper UI switch…

2018-12-19 09:42:08.552 [ome.event.ItemCommandEvent] - Item 'Light_GF_Kitchen_Island' received command ON
2018-12-19 09:42:08.561 [nt.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - Light_GF_Kitchen_Island predicted to become NULL

What have i missed?

Pete

Well, I solved my problem! I had the old format {} from my items file instead of [] around the KNX addresses!

One more thing though, I have the following in my Things definition:

Thing device generic [ address="1.1.4", fetch=false, pingInterval=600, readInterval=0 ]

What is the address 1.1.4 ? Not sure I have that right (as I don’t know what it is referencing!)

I did get the following message in the log file:

2018-12-19 11:19:54.258 [DEBUG] [.knx.handler.AbstractKNXThingHandler] - Polling individual address '1.1.4'

2018-12-19 11:20:01.395 [DEBUG] [nx.internal.client.AbstractKNXClient] - Could not read value for datapoint 1/2/19: timeout waiting for group read response from 1/2/19. Going to retry.

But things seem to be working ok

that’s the Individual Address [IA] (aka Physical Address) of the remote KNX Actuator. IA have a format of: x.y.z
It is optional since you can create a “virtual” Thing in OH2 with KNXv2.
If you set the IA, the binding will poll it periodically to see if it’s online.

This is a different problem. The Group Address (GA) 1/2/19 is not responding to queries (Group Read telegrams originating from OH2). Double check this. It is not a big problem, but better not to send read requests if the GA is not able to respond.

Thanks, that’s useful to know. Just re-read the docs – and I can now understand the bit about the polling to see if online.

I’ll check if that GA wasn’t responding when I was using v1 of the binding – may be something in my KNX network set wrong

Thanks!

1 Like

hello, I just follow your doc and did my migration but it was not fun in any ways :frowning:
in the process I did a small shell script that transform your thing file into an item file (I still don’t get why having both is an upgrade)

#! /bin/bash
regexbridge="\s*Bridge\s+knx:ip:(\S+).*"
regexthing="\s*Thing\s+device\s+(\S+).*"
regextype="\s*Type\s+(\S+)\s+:\s+(\S+)\s+(.*)\s+\[.*\]"
while read line
do
 if [[ $line =~ $regexbridge ]]
 then
  bridge="${BASH_REMATCH[1]}"
#  echo "bridge: $bridge"
fi
 if [[ $line =~ $regexthing ]]
 then
  thing="${BASH_REMATCH[1]}"
#  echo "thing: $thing"
fi
 if [[ $line =~ $regextype ]]
 then
  type="${BASH_REMATCH[1]}"
  name="${BASH_REMATCH[2]}"
  desc="${BASH_REMATCH[3]}"
  echo "${type^}  $name $desc { channel=\"knx:device:$bridge:$thing:$name\"   }"
fi

done < "${1:-/dev/stdin}"

also available here: https://github.com/viknet365/openhabknx2things2items

thanks for your work

Viknet

1 Like

I have a small question about setting up the KNX2 vbinding and the things-file:

With knx1-binding there is no reference to the knx-actuators.

When i change the config on the knx side (for example move a light from one actuator to another), i don´t have to change anything inside openhab.

With knx2-bidning, i have to change the things-file too?

Is this a “must be” that i define a single thing-device for every actuator? Or is it also possible to only define one “big thing device”, where all my GAs are inside? (without any reference to a specific actuator)

The latter is correct. In fact, you can define as much things as you want, you don’t have to set the individual address of the thing. Of course then you can’t get additional information about your hardware.

There is one point to note, the parameter readInterval is set once per thing, so, if you want to use this feature, I recommend to group all channels which should be read frequently in one thing and leave all other channels without frequently read requests.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

What is the best way to migrate to knx2?

My problem, i have no time to do all in one day. I think i will have to split the work. But i can not use knx1 and knx2 binding together to test the new config-files.

So i think the best would be: write all new files - make a snapshot of OH-VM (my oh runs on esxi) and then change the files and install the new binding. If there are too many errors, go back to previous snapshot and rework the config-files…

Or completely clone the OH virtual machine - use one for knx1 and one for knx2. Is this possible? Will this work, if i only start/stop the two identical virtual clones? So i could go back to knx1 when i have to stop the work and can start again the next day?

I’m running openHAB in three instances, the first is still OH1.8, the second is OH2.5 (already with knx2) and the third is to experiment a little bit… All three instances are running as VM (the latter at proxmox, the others at xen)

The downside is, as I have no urgency to migrate completely… I’m running this setup since more than one year… :wink: Maybe at some point I will start a fourth VM with OH3 :confused:

But your three instances are running at the same time?

And so you only can have rules on one of the oh-installations, for which there are the items in the same installation.

Jepp. I have to decide which OH instance shall command which channels through rules. But the point is, there is absolutely no problem to run more than one instance, even for a long time.

In fact, the roadmap for OH3 is to remove the compatibility layer and to force the people which need OH1 bindings, to configure two OH instances (and share the items through mqtt eventbus).

Is it possible, to use knx1 and knx2 in two installations at the same time - all knx items on both machines so that i can control my knx with knx1 and knx2 at the same time?

This woul be the perfect way. So i would only install a small OH2-Install with knx2 and then enter all my knx-items. When i can control the whole knx with the knx2 machine too, i can change on my main OH-Server from knx12 to knx2 in short time:

remove knx1 bidning, install knx2 binding, copy all config files from the Test-Server to the Main-Server - and that´s it…

Yes, as long as your gateway provides more than one connection :). If not, you can use knxd as a mediator.

Hi All,

maybe interesting for one or the other: I wrote a script for converting config files from knx1 to knx2 binding. It can read an ETS4 project file. The script works for me and may not work for everybody out of the box. But definitely it will be a good start to automate that migration part.
See here: https://github.com/jo47011/knx-converter for details.

All feedback is welcome
Karl

1 Like

Hi Jo and the forum,
today I used jo47011’s script to convert my OH2 KNX stuff. Jo help me out by changing some stuff in his script. It was really working like a charm.
Tutorial from Dim, Step 3 and 4 did Jo’s script, restart OH2, working.
I did not expect it to be so easy, that’s why I didn’t migrate earlier.

Thanks Jo

1 Like

Hi Dim Angelos the migration guide and the examples were very helpful for me and it works perfekt. Thanks a lot!
Has someone examples for KNX heating actors thing and item file like the examples from the top of the article?