Konnected Alarm Panel connects a wired alarm system to your smart home

Has anyone seen or tried anything from https://konnected.io/. It looks like it integrates with OH.
I somehow received an unsolicited email from them today and it looks like it is using the ESP8266 boards. for a DIY connection.

John Frankforther

2 Likes

Just took a quick look at the link,:+1: thought to myself, dang why didn’t I think of making something like that.:roll_eyes:

I’ll read more later but at first glimpse it looks like a cheap solution to revive an old home security system.:sunglasses:

Thanks for posting the link.:smiley:

I was hoping between that and OH I could figure out how to start getting my stuff connected. Mine will be all wireless as I don’t want to string miles of wire through my walls. In scanning over the site it appears it is basically for a replacement for an old wired system and they are just started working on integration for OH.

John

It’s using Esp devices, hopefully you will be able to use mqtt for communication.:crossed_fingers:

I wish this were around about three years ago. I might still look into it as I still have some old vibration sensors and window sensors that are not working with my RPi setup. I think they need 5v instead of 3.5v and I’ve not spent the effort to build something to bring the voltage down to 3.5v so it doesn’t fry my Pi. (Mmmmm, fried pie).

I’m surprised and a little dismayed to see they do not have just plain old MQTT integration. It seems like that would give them the biggest bang for their buck. Obviously having native support for the big four home automation hubs is nice, but MQTT would give them far more wide ranging support. And MQTT can be made very secure if you spend some time at it.

I’m definitely going to keep my eye on it.

I’ve moved your post to the Hardware Home Automation category as I think that’s a better fit.

Not sure about the price a few years back but now day’s logic level shifters are cheap on ali-express.

Oh I know something like this exists and they are cheap. It’s more a matter of time and desire to learn how to use them correctly. I’ll probably get to them eventually. Looking at the Google Results, it looks like they are pretty straight forward and will be really easy to with the RPi W0 which has both 3.5v and 5v pins. I’d need to find another 5v power source to use it with a NodeMCU though, so I’d probably need to keep the RPi as the “brains”.

I just bought 6 of the Hi-Link power modules for a few buck each. They come in various output voltages with input voltages up to 220 VAC. The ones I bought output 3.3 volts at 0.9 amps each.
That should be plenty of power to run an ESP8266 and a few sensors.
They measure 1 3/8" X 3/4" X 5/8". PC board mounting style.

Yep, you should be fine with that setup. If your planning to use an Esp Dev board it comes with a 5v to 3.3 linear voltage regulator and I found that a simple wall wart (I use several Roku power supplies 5v 1A) works good.

I saw some of their stuff go by on Facebook and read their website. I was not as excited as I could be because of some of the limitations of the system.

First, it’s wired devices only. If that’s all you have it is a good fit. 90% of my sensors are wireless and it wouldn’t help with them at all.

Second, it’s not a certified security system and has no ability to be monitored centrally. Forget telling your insurance company you have an alarm to get the discount and/or improved coverage. I prefer to keep a security system to be a stand-alone, well tested device.

Third, I couldn’t tell if it could work locally or required the use of their cloud. I’m not going to have key parts of my system depend on someone’s cloud. If it can run local, great - I just couldn’t tell from what was on the web page.

Local should be easy for a device like this, too: Publish your name on bonjour and self-host an MQTT server. Many, many things could connect to that easily. To add web-accessible support for a phone app, it would be very simple for them to route the MQTT over hub on the Internet, in an idea much like the openhab cloud app. Easy for them to maintain and secure! What’s not to like?

It might be doing these things already; there wasn’t enough information on the publicly accessible web page to tell, and I didn’t contact them and ask for more information because there was enough information to tell that I couldn’t use any of the wireless sensors I have.

This is a heck of a project for most DIYers. I have already done a bunch of work on a Honeywell alarm system so I know what I’d be getting into, but for a lot of people having to untangle all the wires and figure out where what has to go might be more than they’re comfortable with. (Especially if their alarm does something like zone doubling.

For me, losing the wireless is a dealbreaker. I prefer to keep the security system a stand-alone, solidly tested device, too.

My solution was to get the Honeywell alarm that came with the house working again and install an AlarmDecoder; the alarm is an alarm, but openhab gets all the data I want from it.

If someone look at it, I’d be curious to know if it works in local mode! I hope it works well; it’s a neat idea and not too expensive.

Well, in an openhab context it doesn’t really matter if these devices do not support wireless sensors because openHAB does and from what I can tell, it will be OH that is implementing the alarm system logic. These are just exposing the sensors to OH (or one of the other home automation hubs it supports).

Though if you do indeed want to keep your alarm system separate that could be a problem.

They have a binding on the IoT Market Place and it claims it does local control and not cloud.

And according to their website there is support for monitoring if your are using Hubitat as your hub. But not all of us care about monitoring.

I think their target audience is nitch, but it perfectly fits me to a tee. People with a home that already had a bunch of wired sensors but no central controller or a non-functioning one, who want to be able to use these existing sensors in their home automation. I don’t care if it’s monitored because an alarm system isn’t what I’m doing it for. I want alerts when a door is left open or to adjust the HVAC when the windows are open and the like.

I’ve been reading a bit about this lately (The Pro version with Ethernet) and still on the fence as to whether this is suitable for my specific situation. I have an ‘old’ ADT SafeWatch Pro 3000, and this fits the bill. However, the price is rather steep ($230) for what it does and how it’s built. Not sure it is totally worth it as one can ‘cook-up’ something similar with a fraction of the price.

Other/viable (not as pricey) Competitors: Alarm Decoder, Envisalink, …

Would love to hear/read more comments from community members who have adopted such product.

I have 4 of the older boards running 24 zones.
Im using the konnected binding (hasn’t been updated for 3.0 yet), 4 node MCU boards running the konnected firmware (can be found on their site for free), 12v power supply with 4 outputs (modified the wiring).

I made the boards myself using JLCPCB and images i found on their site.
https://oshwlab.com/chemmings60/konnected-addon-board

All works well, has for about a year and a half.
If you are just looking to wire in sensors and such, i wouldn’t worry about the pro version.

Thank you Chris. I was drawn to the pro version as many people have reported that the original version did not have good wifi connectivity. Care to share a bit more details and links about what you did? I can do some electronics/programming (arduino/raspberry pi) but not a EE major.

The wifi capability is determined by whichever nodemcu board you have.
Never had issues with mine, and theyre inside a metal alarm case.

Look at my link. have the boards made by jlcpcb, you can even have them solder the components if you like. otherwise get components locally, and solder them yourself. Theres a bit of tinkering to do. but once you have the boards made, flash the NODEMCU boards, and plug it all in.
Then use Openhab to setup your zones.

2 Likes

Thank you Chris, very much. This is promising :slight_smile:

1 Like