Less than 2 Hours + Less than $200.00 = 2 Garage Doors and 1 Gate Automated + plus one very happy family who can use Alexa to operate

Thanks Chris.

I played with the item config and rather than set it up as contact I set it up as switch. The problem seems to have been solved and the events show in the log.

Also big thanks to KidSquid for taking the time to put this together.

Switch GarageDrSensor "Garage Door Is: [%s]" { channel="zwave:device:xxxxx:node5:sensor_binary" }

For the rules I had it setup to send me an SMS text when the door is opened

rule "Garage Door Open 2"
when
Item GarageDrSensor changed to ON
then
sendMail(“xxxxxxxx@vmobile.ca”, “Garage Door Open”, “Garage Door Open”)
end

@KidSquid

Great tutorial,Thanks for the effort!
I have just managed to use a lot of what you did and combine it with my Sonoff unit to do similar.
One question, when you use Alexa to open and close the garage doors, do you have to know to ask her to turn the door ON/OFF or do you say open/close the garage door?

Cheers
Crumpy10

@crumpy10

Glad to hear you’re getting some value from it.

When I first launched it, I did indeed have to tell Alexa “Turn On” the garage door which took some getting used to.

Around the end of October last year, Amazon released “Alexa Routines” which allow you to use natural language commands for these situations
now I can can tell Alexa to open or close the garage door. Since it’s a trigger and Alexa really doesn’t know the state of the garage door, open and close perform the same function.

Here’s a bit more info from Amazon:

Let me know if I can answer anything else.

Squid

1 Like

@KidSquid

Your a legend! Thanks I didnt know the App was getting that good.
I can see some really funny automations coming up with this one!

Crumpy