Lights Randomly Do Not Turn On

I have been using Openhab for several years with no issues. I have several rules set up that trigger the light switches in the house to turn on or off. Earlier this year, the rules became less reliable. The light switches do not always go on or off when they are supposed to. Here is an example from the logs:

2022-04-17 19:44:00.006 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ChannelTriggeredEvent ] - astro:sun:local:set#event triggered START

2022-04-17 19:44:00.042 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemCommandEvent      ] - Item 'BackEaveSwitch_Switch' received command ON

2022-04-17 19:44:00.054 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemCommandEvent      ] - Item 'CornerEavesSwitch_Switch' received command ON

2022-04-17 19:44:00.064 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemCommandEvent      ] - Item 'LowerStairsSwitch_Switch' received command ON

2022-04-17 19:44:00.072 [INFO ] [penhab.event.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - Item 'BackEaveSwitch_Switch' predicted to become ON

2022-04-17 19:44:00.081 [INFO ] [penhab.event.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - Item 'CornerEavesSwitch_Switch' predicted to become ON

2022-04-17 19:44:00.088 [INFO ] [penhab.event.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - Item 'LowerStairsSwitch_Switch' predicted to become ON

2022-04-17 19:44:00.097 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item 'BackEaveSwitch_Switch' changed from OFF to ON

2022-04-17 19:44:00.098 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item 'LowerStairsSwitch_Switch' changed from OFF to ON

2022-04-17 19:47:00.002 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ChannelTriggeredEvent ] - astro:sun:local:set#event triggered END

The “Corner Eaves Switch” received the command to turn on, was predicted to turn on and then never turns on. The other two switches do. It is not always this switch that fails to turn on. It seems to be random which switch fails to change and sometimes no switches fail. This happens with switches in other rules as well.

I haven’t made any changes to the system, other than installing several Z Wave wall plugs, that I later unplugged and disabled in Openhab several months ago. At first I thought maybe this impacted the Z Wave network connections that the devices make to one another but I’ve read that the network automatically rebuilds itself. I’m not sure what to do to fix this other than wipe the system and start over which I really don’t want to have to do. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated!

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi
    • Java Runtime Environment: which java platform is used and what version
    • openHAB version: 3.1.0
  • Issue of the topic: please be detailed explaining your issue
  • Please post configurations (if applicable):
    • Items configuration related to the issue
    • Sitemap configuration related to the issue
    • Rules code related to the issue
    • Services configuration related to the issue
  • If logs where generated please post these here using code fences:

First off, we need the items and thing definitions for your Switches.
Then the rues, which trigger the switches, even if you think they don’t fire! :wink:

I suspect it could be faulty hardware if they are old relays that were cheap to start with.

Here is the rule:

rule “SunSetStartLightsOn”
when
Channel “astro:sun:local:set#event” triggered START
then
BackEaveSwitch_Switch.sendCommand(ON)
CornerEavesSwitch_Switch.sendCommand(ON)
LowerStairsSwitch_Switch.sendCommand(ON)
end

The switches are all Inovelli LZW30 Black Series On/Off switches Spec sheet

I’m not sure where to get the thing/item definitions. I created them all in the GUI so the /etc/openhab/things and /etc/openhab/items directories are empty. Thanks again for the help!

please use code fences insted of “quote” (one of the icons on the right or ``` to format code)

I don’t have experience with Z-Wave, but perhaps “LowerStairsSwitch” doesn’t have a reliable connection?

You always can throw in a screenshot → or switch to CODE in Things at least to show the definition. or just tell us “it’s switch items with “Switch” Type and “…” semantic class/property”…

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. Also, I will make sure to use the code fences when posting in the future.

I decided to go ahead and do a hard reset of my Z-wave controller and upgrade the firmware in all of my switches as well as download the latest openhabian image to start fresh. I rebuilt the network and everything seems to be working fine so far.