[SOLVED] Link to Zwave binding SNAPSHOT 2.5

• Platform information:

• Hardware: RPi 3B+, Intel 128 GB SSD, Aeon labs Z-Stick Gen 5
    • Java Runtime Environment: Included in Openhabian
    • openHAB version: 2.4.0 Release Build
  • Issue of the topic: please be detailed explaining your issue
    I’m new to Zwave and what I have unstood ther are som bugs in the Zwave binding 2.4 (stable) and have find here in the community that Chris recomends to install the 2.5 SNAPSHOT build.
    I have searched in many topics and the documentation but not found any accurate answers on my topic.
    Now I have some questions:
    I have found severel links to the SNAPSHOT but wonder what is the officiel link?
    Is it allways the same link to the latest binding?
    Do I have to follow the instructions in the topic “ZWave binding updates” when update to the SNAPSHOT?

Regards
Magnus

Here is where you can find the most recent snapshot build of the ZWave Binding. You can also find the most recent snapshot builds of other bundles by following the links here.

You should first remove the existing ZWave binding, either via the PaperUI if you haven’t added it in $USER_CONFIG/services/addons.cfg, or via the karaf console if it is listed in addons.cfg with:

bundle:uninstall org.openhab.binding.zwave

Exit the karaf console and stop openHAB, then:

1. Copy the latest build of the ZWave Binding jar you downloaded from the link I provided to $OPENHAB_HOME/addons/
  2. Clear tmp & cache:
    rm -rf $OPENHAB_USERDATA/{cache,tmp}/*
  3. Restart openHAB

There is no need to exclude and rediscover your ZWave devices after you have installed the latest snapshot build of ZWave Binding because you are running the OH 2.4.0 release.

2 Likes

Thanks! It helped me.

@scottk, thanks for the instructions. I also followed it closely in order to replace the 2.4.0 Z-Wave binding, formerly installed via PaperUI by the 2.5.0 Snapshot of April 20th, provided at the given link. The idea is to be able and control new devices that are not yet part of the 2.4.0 release.

I did as you said but I did nothing else but these steps. I checked that the .jar file is in the /usr/share/openhab2/addons folder. However, I now don’t see the new Z-Wave Binding in PaperUI anymore, not under Addons-Bindings nor under Inbox when I want to pick a binding to find new devices. It does appear in Karaf when I bundle:list as “installed”.

Is there anything you have to do in order to make the snapshot-version work? Is there a way to check if is recognized and may only don’t show up in PaperUI?

thanks

OK, it is resolved. I found in another thread that sometimes you also need to " feature:install openhab-transport-serial" in the Karaf in that case. I did that before I updated the Z-Wave because I though it was a one-time installation of a package rather than a procedure you have to execute after installing the bundle.

2.5.0 is now up and running and it correctly recognized the new devices.

Scott, could you please update the link you posted for the ZWave snapshot? Thanks, Louis

https://ci.openhab.org/job/openHAB2-Bundles/lastSuccessfulBuild/org.openhab.addons.bundles$org.openhab.binding.zwave/

Done.

1 Like

@chris is the 2.5 snapshot version:
A) compatible w/ OH 2.4.x
B) Generally “stable”
C) The only way to get access to newer devices in the db? (aka, are there any 2.4.x point release of the binding that would also accomplish this?)

I think I’ve lamented this before, but it’s too bad there’s not a way to split the db portion out to a separate “binding” or piece of code (I realize it’s far too intertwined to do).

I’m not 100% sure - it’s 9 months since 2.4 was released and I think there may be some changes that require the 2.5 runtime.

Generally, I believe so.

Yes - short of rolling your own…

Yes, this is a discussion that comes up again and again. The bottom line is -:

• openHAB doesn’t support this. To do this myself I would need to create a special configuration provider and really moves away from openHAB core features.
  • it is not guaranteed to work in any case. New features get added to Java that are interpreted by the XML files, so new options in the XML may fail. Basically, compatibility between XML is only ensured by liking the two together.

Is there a reasonably easy way to locally add a device that’s not in db?

Ya, totally get it. I’m a developer myself, so I get that while it may seem simple on the surface, until you really know the code and how it works, you can’t really assume that it can be done.

Somewhere there is an explanation by @5iver on how to edit the JAR - I’d do a search for that.

I’ve done local modifications from time to time.

Basics steps:

1. Uninstall zwave addon
  2. Put org.apache.servicemix.bundles.xstream-1.4.7_1.jar in addons folder
  3. Launch karaf run: feature:install openhab-transport-serial
  4. Run git clone https://github.com/openhab/org.openhab.binding.zwave zwave
  5. Install apach maven (apt installl maven3, I run Opensuse so different there)
  6. Edit the xml file you need to change for instance for Fibaro Smart Implant:
    ./src/main/resources/ESH-INF/thing/fibaro/fgbs222_0_0.xml
  7. in the zwave addons git folder run: mvn package
  8. scp ./target/org.openhab.binding.zwave-2.5.0-SNAPSHOT.jar to your openhab addons folder or similar.
  9. You are done!

Regards, S

That should be it

1 Like
1 Like

Hello Everyone,

Greetings from Switzerland.

I am new to openhab and have a fair amount of technical knowledge on other systems.

I am struggling since the last two weeks to add a Aeotec MultiSensor 6 and a Aeotec Door and Window Sensor 7.

The Windows Sensor always pops up as UNKNOWN and the Multisensor comes up as online but does not show any readings in the Paper UI but shows:

A-Z-Wave Node 005: ZW100 Multisensor 6

Sensor (temperature)

-NaN

Sensor (ultraviolet)

-NaN

Sensor (luminance)

-NaN

Sensor (relative humidity)

-NaN

radio_button_unchecked

Motion Alarm

radio_button_unchecked

Tamper Alarm

trending_up

Battery Level

-NaN %

All readings in Paper UI are NaN and for Motion and Tamper alarm there is nothing.

I have done whatever possible and am on the verge of throwing these sensors out as I am very frustrated now.

Can someone of you be kind enough to guide me on what to do to get these two sensors working.

I am running Snapshot 2.5 updated as of today.

Also can you be kind enough to give me step by step instruction on where to download the latest Zwave binding and how to upgrade it through Karaf, as I have not used Karaf before.

I await your help.

Regards
Sajive Trehan

That was handy, thanks. I didn’t seem to need the xstream jar, and everything else worked perfectly.

1 Like

Exact issue here, were you able to find solution ?

Tried/w various OH distros&binding builds…

Sehr geehrter Herr Gualty

Thanks for your message and I apologise for the delayed reply.

Yes, I was able to resolve the issue and it works fine now.

If you could describe me your exact issue then I can try to help you.

I await your update.

Vielen Dank für Ihre Kenntnisnahme
Freundliche Grüsse

TREHAN Sajive

Hello Sajive,

Thanks for your message. I had issue with Aeon 6-in-1 sensor, all channels reporting NaN registered to OpenHAB via Z-Wave USB stick.

Were you able to find solution ? I had to change to Smartthings hub to make it work. What did you do to make it report normal values?

Thanks,
Jan

Sehr geehrter Jan

Thanks for your email.

There were multiple issues.

First was that the Aeotec Z Stick cant be connected directly to the PI. It has to be connected via a USB 2.0 Hub or USB2.0 Extension Cable ONLY and it will only work then. Hope you have sorted it out.

Secondly upgrade to the latest openhab snapshot version. Unisnstall the Zwave Binding from Paper UI and install it again from Habmin.

Lastly reduce the Sleep wakeup time in Habmin Config to say 3600 secs and it should come alive in one or two hours.

Hope it works for you.

Vielen Dank für Ihre Kenntnisnahme
Freundliche Grüsse

TREHAN Sajive