• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Synology
    • openHAB version: 3.1
  • Issue of the topic: Log in as root does not work - I don’t know the password

I would like run “sudo openhabian-config” to upgrade to 3.2. but I cannot log in as root. The console says “openhab” as user and I found “habopen” as the potential password. But it does not work.
I am pretty sure I didn’t change or set a password during the setup. I am very careful in noting down stuff like that.
Does anyone have an idea how to get root access on the console?

Running OpenHABian on NAS or inside Docker as you apparently do is not supported.
Read the docs before installing and asking here.

How to ask a good question / Help Us Help You - Tutorials & Examples - openHAB Community

I am not exactly sure what you are doing, but if you are running openhab in docker, “upgrade” is usually done by switching to the 3.2 docker image, not by running upgrade within container…

I’ll also chime in that this question really doesn’t make sense. Perhaps you are confusing openHAB, the home automation softtware, with openHABian, the preconfigured operating system set up to run openHAB and other related software.

I suppose it might be theoretically possible to run openHABian in a Docker container but that really makes no sense at all if that’s what you are doing. If you want to run openHABian, you’d do that in a VM, not a container.

If you are in fact just running openHAB in a container, there won’t be an openhabian-config since you are not running openHABian. And as @rfuh points out, you almost never upgrade a docker container in place. You’d pull the latest image and then spin up a new container off of that image.

oh ok, thanks - both of you! I didn’t know that. So I will switch to the new image.