Log Issue

Began my Openhab install tonight. Ran into an issue when trying to view the log file. Got this error:
~ $ tail /var/log/openhab/openhab.log
at org.openhab.model.rule.internal.engine.ExecuteRuleJob.execute(ExecuteRuleJob.java:55) ~[na:na]
at org.quartz.core.JobRunShell.run(JobRunShell.java:213) [quartz-all-2.1.7.jar:na]
at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:557) [quartz-all-2.1.7.jar:na]
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: java.lang.ClassCastException@d0cbbe
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor92.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[na:na]
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[na:1.8.0_65]
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:497) ~[na:1.8.0_65]
at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.XbaseInterpreter.invokeOperation(XbaseInterpreter.java:729) ~[na:na]
… 44 common frames omitted
2016-03-12 13:52:38.983 [INFO ] [penhab.io.rest.RESTApplication] - Stopped REST API

Any idea what the issue could be? I am a bit out of my element, but looking forward to learning the environment. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi Tim,

You did succeed in viewing the end of the log; the question is what problems did you encounter in using openHAB? It looks as if there is a problem with one of your rules, but instead of guessing what you were trying to do that didn’t work, please provide more information. Also, what version of openHAB running on what kind of system, might be relevant.

All the best!

I have not established any rules yet. The initial install was simply trying to create a hue binding and get some familiarity with the system. This was the extent of the log file. I am running 1.8.1 on a raspberry pi.

Watou thanks so much for the help. I couldn’t be more excited about the possibilities, but realize there may be a steep learning curve.

1 Like

I would suggest running openhab in debug mode, and repeating whatever you were trying to do at the time the error occurred. (Debug spits out a lot more information, maybe something useful will pop up.)

Also check that you didn’t send hue information to a separate hue log file. I know some bindings suggest that, but I think when you’re starting out it’s counterproductive.

1 Like

There might be more to the log file if you use

more /var/log/openhab/openhab.log

Wishing you the best in your exploration of openHAB!