Log not starting after installing on 2.5.5

Hi all,
I upgraded (installing a new boot on raspbian 2.5.5 and restoring the configuration from backup of the 2.3), and having problem with the log application UI, everytime I reboot, frontail service is not started (I tried to reinstall from openhabian-config and tried to update-rc.d frontail enable)

Someone has the same issue?

Can you start the service manually?
If so something like this might work

sudo systemctl enable openhab2.frontail

Yes I can start manually and executing the command you suggested I have:
Failed to enable unit: Unit file openhab2.frontail.service does not exist

I installed the frontail with optional component of openhabian-config

The openhab2.frontail was italic because it was a placeholder.
How do you start the service manually?

sudo service frontail start

try

sudo systemctl enable frontail

reboot and see if it helped

1 Like

FYI, frontail is a third party application & not part of openHAB.
OpenHABian gives you the choice of installing it though.

Ok but in the previous versions was installed by defaultā€¦the problem is that when I install (from a virgin img openhabian image) if I reboot I have to start it manually, why?

1 Like

Did you try my solution?

Yes but not working :frowning:

What is the current error message that you get ?
Is there any entry in the system log ?

There is no errorā€¦the service not starting automatic even if is enabled, and I have to start it manually

Hello all, Iā€™m experiencing the same problem here.

If I install frontail using openhabian-config option ā€˜21 Log Viewer darkā€™ the webpage and logs are displayed at port: 9001.

However, on reboot, this service is not presented and I cannot view the logs.

Iā€™ve tried enabling the service with sudo systemctl enable frontail.service as well as sudo systemctl enable frontail
Iā€™ve used journalctl -k | grep frontail however nothing is presented as an error.

permissions for frontail at:
/usr/lib/node_modules/frontail/bin/frontail
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 43 Oct 26 1985 frontail

What else can I try?
Your help, as always, is appreciated

There are regularly updates for openhabian-config that can be downloaded / applied on the fly when you startup openhabian-config. Do you apply the updates. Which version of openhabian-config is being shown ?
You wrote that you enabled the service. Of course it should start at boot automatically what do you get when you run

sudo systemctl start frontail

is it running then ?

Hi @Wolfgang_S , thanks for replying,

Yes apply all updates when available.

Openhabian-config:
Welcome to the openHABian Configuration Tool [openHAB3]patchday-20210104-1134(c166ac8)

And yes, after running sudo systemctl start frontail the service is available at 9001.
Perplexing for me - maybe something simple to someone else?

Could you post the content of /etc/systemd/system/frontail.service please ?
Just to check if that file contains what is expected to be in the file.
That file is responsible for starting the service in dependency of other services.

[Unit]
Description=Frontail openHAB instance, reachable at http://%H:9001
Documentation=GitHub - mthenw/frontail: šŸ“ streaming logs to the browser. Sponsored by https://cloudash.dev
After=openhab.service
PartOf=openhab.service

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/lib/node_modules/frontail/bin/frontail --ui-highlight --ui-highlight-preset /usr/lib/node_modules/frontail/preset/openhab$
Restart=always
User=frontail
Group=openhab
Environment=PATH=/usr/bin/
Environment=NODE_ENV=production
WorkingDirectory=/usr/bin/

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

The service file is ok as well.

Instead of running

could you please check

journalctl -b | grep frontail

While the first command only checks for kernel messages the second one checks for all entries since the last boot and filters for frontail related messages only.

Sure as below - seems it did start? Or started and then exited?

Jan 15 11:27:07 vanOpenhab systemd[1]: frontail.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=15/TERM
Jan 15 11:27:07 vanOpenhab systemd[1]: frontail.service: Succeeded.
Jan 16 02:00:01 vanOpenhab mirror_SD[27183]: /etc/systemd/system/frontail.service
Jan 16 02:01:51 vanOpenhab mirror_SD[27183]: /usr/lib/node_modules/frontail/preset/
Jan 16 02:01:51 vanOpenhab mirror_SD[27183]: /usr/lib/node_modules/frontail/preset/openhab.json
Jan 16 02:01:51 vanOpenhab mirror_SD[27183]: /usr/lib/node_modules/frontail/preset/openhab_dark.json
Jan 16 02:01:51 vanOpenhab mirror_SD[27183]: /usr/lib/node_modules/frontail/web/assets/styles/
Jan 16 02:01:51 vanOpenhab mirror_SD[27183]: /usr/lib/node_modules/frontail/web/assets/styles/openhab.css
Jan 16 02:01:51 vanOpenhab mirror_SD[27183]: /usr/lib/node_modules/frontail/web/assets/styles/openhab_dark.css
Jan 16 02:01:54 vanOpenhab mirror_SD[27183]: /usr/local/bin/frontail -> /usr/bin/frontail
Jan 16 13:20:07 vanOpenhab sudo[15156]: openhabian : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/openhabian ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/systemctl start frontail
Jan 16 14:18:01 vanOpenhab sudo[16736]: openhabian : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/nano /etc/systemd/system/frontail.service
Jan 16 14:18:27 vanOpenhab sudo[16747]: openhabian : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/nano /etc/systemd/system/frontail.service

What do we think? Seems to me it does start but instantly stops? How do I ensure it stays up?