[SOLVED] Logging of system crashers

Dear all

Lately I sporadically encounter system crashes (either knx binging suddenly stops to work or full system breaks down). My question is: Which logs do I have to investigate and what should be the logging settings. So far I looked into events.log and openhab.log. Log Setting for events and for knx are:

log:set DEBUG  org.openhab.binding.knx

and

log:set DEBUG calimero

However, so far I could not see much in order to get a hint what could be the root cause, i.e. logging just sopped without a hint.

Does anybody have a tip how to log in order to get some ideas on casues?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Best regards
Rolf

Did you just investigate the openHAB logs?
This could also been caused by the system it self.

But you provided no information about the system it self :wink:
I cant help much since I don’t know if you use Windows, Linux yada yada yada.

@BrutalBirdie

Hi Elias,

Thanks a lot for taking this up. In my case openhab2 is running on a raspberrypi on a ophabian installation. I also found some further log files in /var/log/ but I have no clue what to best investigate in case of a system crash.

What would be the best approach?

Best regards
Rolf

Hmm, I know Modbus but I don’t know if KNX works serial or via Network TCP/UDP.

• I would take a look if the serial/network has a problem and if so, does this behavior appear when a disconnect happens.
    :thought_balloon: (I try to reconnect but get stuck in an endless loop and crash the system like that)
  • Does the system have enough space or does he get stuck writing logs?
  • Is the power input stable?
  • Take a look at the process list RAM usage etc. / Log it maybe something else caused a stuck system
  • Is the SD-Card still working? (I assume yes since you can reboot your system and it works again)

Try to think like the system, what can cause myself to get stuck or crash.

Cheers,
Elias

@BrutalBirdie

Dear Elias

Thanks a lot. In what .log file would you search for this information? I found quite a few in /var/log, e.g. kernel.log or syslog etc.

Btw: my knx is connected via ip

Cheers Rolf

@BrutalBirdie

Dear Elias

I started to investigate the syslog file. Potentially I found something. I have opened a new topic:
https://community.openhab.org/t/system-crashes-after-rsyslogd-2007-errors/72532

If you have any idea what could e the issue that would be highly appreciated

cheers
Rolf

well uhm, you did not need to create a new topic, issues are for github
you should have posted this here.

ok, so then I post it here again?:

Dear all

Since lately my system crashes sporadically. When I go in the syslog file I see that roughly 30-50 messages as below are being logged, before system crashes:

Apr 15 03:55:01 openHABianPi CRON[14083]: (root) CMD (command -v debian-sa1 > /dev/null && debian-sa1 1 1)
Apr 15 04:05:01 openHABianPi rsyslogd-2007: action 'action 17' suspended, next retry is Mon Apr 15 04:06:01 2019 [try http://www.rsyslog.com/e/2007 ]

I have no clue what the cause if this could be. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Cheers Rolf

Did you ever checkout this URL?
It lead me to this post rsyslog error 2007 - rsyslog which describes a way to solve this error :slight_smile:

Hi Elias

Yes I did… finally I tried to comment the xconsole related lines in rsyslog.conf out. This seems to have solved the issue …

Thanks s lot Elias for the help

Cheers
Rolf

Be sure to observe the system if the old behavior appears again.

Hope this did the trick for you :slight_smile:

Don’t forget to mark one of the post as solved, like that

Have a nice day,
Elias