Login trouble on Raspi4 using OpenHabian release 1.6.5 both 32 and 64 bit images

• Platform information:
  • Hardware: _Raspberry PI 4 with 4G RAM
    Standard distribution 1.6.5 burned on 32G SD card
  • Issue of the topic: User/Password doubts logging in into the system

After downloading I installed the image on the SD card. I connected my Raspi to LAN via cable, connected a Monitor, keyboard and mouse. The installation process seems to succeed well. At the end I am able to connect with the browser and start configuration as described.
The first doubt arises, when I connect via ssh with the raspi. I use the command:
ssh -p 8101 openhab@openhabian
and as described I am asked jf I am sure to connect. The Password is however not work as expected. When I try out habopen I get authentication error. If I give no password at all, the login succeeds.
When I try to login physically with Monitor, mouse and keyboard on the raspberry I do not succeed at all, using all combinations coming into my mind (also standard passwords of raspbian).
I think there is something I am missing Same thing happens with 32 bit and 64 bit images.
I am absolute new, I read already thru this community and the documentation, but I was not able to find answers to my doubts. Pls excuse if my question is stupid, but I do not find out what I am missing.
Thank you very much in advance
kindest regards
Erich

Please differ between GNU/Linux Console and Karaf Console when login via ssh.
The GNU/Linux shell is reachable via ssh (port 22) or via local login (keyboard and monitor), user is openhabian, password is openhabian.
The karaf console is (by default) only reachable via local GNU/Linux shell. User is openhab, password is habopen.
You can use openhab-cli -console to login (login user is set automatically to openhab) or via ssh -p8101 openhab@localhost

In question of documentation… :wink: openHABian | openHAB for all used default passwords and openHABian | openHAB for login to the GNU/Linux Console (the last line of text above the picture).

So, all in all, it’s much too much text :wink: to find the information…

1 Like

Thank you very much. Now I understand. Yes, it is a few lines to read which lists the passwords to be used. You are right.
The login now works as expected.
The only open issue is now the openHAB remote console which should reachable with user/password “openhab:habopen” and listens on port 8101. I enter without password. I suspect a configuration issue, I even can login to Karaf from a remote host.
Again, thank you very much, I still have to read a lot, it is however very interesting.
Yours,
Erich

And you get an output like this?

_   _     _     ____
   ___   ___   ___   ___  | | | |   / \   | __ )
  / _ \ / _ \ / _ \ / _ \ | |_| |  / _ \  |  _ \
 | (_) | (_) |  __/| | | ||  _  | / ___ \ | |_) )
  \___/|  __/ \___/|_| |_||_| |_|/_/   \_\|____/
       |_|       3.1.0 - Release Build

Use '<tab>' for a list of available commands
and '[cmd] --help' for help on a specific command.
To exit, use '<ctrl-d>' or 'logout'.

openhab>

That’s very strange, as the password is set to habopen by default and the karaf console does not listen at interfaces other than localhost.

There was a recent change to the openHABian code that changed the console to be available on all external interfaces by default on openHABian install. However you have identified a bug that the default password is not still set when this happens, I am issuing a patch right now to fix the issue on all new installs.

@Erich96 If you want to manually change the password for the console feel free to use menu option 43 in sudo openhabian-config to do so.

EDIT:

To be clear, this is expected behavior what you have observed and the only change I have made to the codebase since my original comment is reenabling the default password, openHABian will still enable access on external interfaces by default.

1 Like

Yes. did so. I modified the openhabian-config file and the login requires a password now. In the config file the ip-adress for allowed interfaces is 0.0.0.0 meaning that I connect from everywhere.
Everything clear now for me. Happy also having contributed in a certain way.
BTW: great software and a fantastic community.