[SOLVED] Logitech Harmony Hub Binding - 4.15.206 firmware broke local API connection

Ouch.

@A_Z @hilbrand @wborn @rkrisi @NCO @captndelta @sjonez @greg @curlyel @dan12345

Hello folks,

it seems that Logitech has currently no plans to reenable local control !!!

see here:

So we should also complain to Todd Walker, here:

https://twitter.com/ToddW_Logitech

It seems communication via websocket is possible. The Home Assistant community is working hard to get that up and running:

There is also a .NET implementation, which was also mentioned:

I donā€™t have any harmony stuff so I canā€™t help directly. But possible the binding can be rewritten to use websocket instead.

@hilbrand

Could be a possible solution, butā€¦

ā€¦home-assistant community fears ā€œthat the websocket will be shut down, locked with some sort of unobtainable key, etc. in the futureā€¦ā€

Why do you need internet to update settings?
If I open the MyHarmony on Win10, I thought it sends the settings locally to the hub? As long as you donā€™t connect the remote directly to a pc, it canā€™t get any firmware updates, or am I completely incorrect?

Can you really change some activity in the Hub with your Windows desktop application?

EDIT: And is it working even if you have deactivated the internet access for the Harmony Hub?

EDIT#2: Iā€™ve downloaded the myHarmony desktop application myself. Unfortunately, I canā€™t change something (tried to delete an unused device) via local network connection. The application insists of getting the Harmony Hub locally connected via USB. Not sure, if this is the common way how to use the desktop app or if itā€™s just because of the Hub is ā€œmissingā€ itā€™s internet connection.

ā€˜solvedā€™ tag was added by an admin or moderator.

The logitech community has been updated:
https://community.logitech.com/s/question/0D55A00008D2zYD/harmony-hub-fw-415206

That really sucks

By the way:
Is there any chance to secure the previous FW version which works properly for the future?

Even though I need to update and downgrade after a Config Change it would be an acceptable way (and blocking the hubā€™s internet connection).

I am afraid, that the last working FW will disappear pretty soon, so that an update without having the fw itself will not be possible anymore.

1 Like

FTR:

Sad news! We have 2 hubs in our home. They are broken since last week, both hubs apparently updated themselves. :roll_eyes:

Step back for Logitech and smarthomes. Guess Iā€™ll have to re-use Globalcache i-tach devices. They work like a charm, but are a bit harder to implement.

I have also 2 Harmonies (Elite, Hub and remote) , one upgraded itself to .206, the other ist still on .201.

I locked down their internet access and downgraded the one hub. Everything works again.

The remote is still on .206, but that doesnā€™t harm. Even Bluetooth was still pairedā€¦

I guess you used the German ā€œhow toā€ mentioned above?

Does this mean the web-app would not work?
EDIT: Never mind - there is no website anymoreā€¦

I am about to downgrade.

Is it a big hassle to downgrade? Iā€™m used to change config of the devices via ipad/ios software. Works better than their buggy windows app i find, but if its for putting fw back to old version. Why not in the meantime.

I did use a Howto from home assistant. I got there from a link here, but I do not know if it was a direct one. I even forgot if it was German.

The downgrade was easy. Apparently logitech did not spent much time on the ui, so it was pretty straight forward. :smile:

Even power from USB ports was sufficient.

Edit: found the link, scroll a bit down

1 Like

Downgrade is really easy and worked right away.
I will provide a english version of instructions to post here soon.

IMPORTANT:

1. Do NOT do a factory reset (even though you need to press the according button ā€“ see screenshot below). This will reset all your configurations and settings.
  2. A synchronisation always will result in the latest (crappy) FW.
  3. Please note that you do this on your own risk.

First you need to download the Harmony Hub desktop app (can be found on myharmony.com). Usually itā€™s recommended to use the mobile app, but this wonā€™t help.

After installation and start, you will see the login screen.
grafik
ā€¦ just press and hold ALT and F9 ā€¦

This side will pop up.
grafik
For the hub you need to choose Home Control

grafik
Even though you should NOT do a factory reset, you can press this button here, because it will guide you to the next screen:

Now you need to connect the hub to the PC and choose restore.
On top of the screen you can see the crappy FW.
grafik
The update will take just 1-2 minutes ā€“ donā€™t disconnect the hub (of course :wink:
grafik
After a while it should be done and you will see a previous FW version above.
Thatā€™s it.

Mine was downgraded to 4.15.193

Hope this helps.

My concern is, whether this FW 193 will be available for longer than just a few weeksā€¦

5 Likes

Maybe @ppieczul or @digitaldan can help with adapting the Harmony Binding to use the Websocket protocol as workaround?

6 Likes

Yes it is ā€˜easyā€™ to downgrade, but for me, it seems that auto-updated itself. I didnā€™t do anything just toggled Activities with the Remote.
Now Iā€™m back on the new firmwareā€¦ so I have to downgrade every few days? Also as other wrote, only a few weeks and this firmware will not be available.

HomeAssistant pushed out an update which uses the websocket API. Hope someone implements it in Java as well.

Implementing a websocket can be a better solution, they canā€™t block all connection to the hub (otherwise how it will communicate with itā€™s Harmony app?). Yes they can change it/make it more secure so it will be harder to follow the changes, but we either do this or throw this thing out on the window (F*ck Logitechā€¦)