LogViewer Android App for openHAB

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fc3ebf5c948> #<Tag:0x00007fc3ebf5c808> #<Tag:0x00007fc3ebf5c6a0>

Hi,
here I want to present you my own “LogViewer for openHAB” app.

It’s better usable on tablets than on mobile phones, because until now I couldn’t find a possibility to change the text size, so it’s a bit too big on small screens, but it also works.

I developed it because once I wanted to read the log while not having the possibility to turn on the pc, then I looked for a good app to solve this problem but there wasn’t any app.

It’s one of my first apps ever and I still (can) learn a lot.
Please write feedback and give tips so I can improve this app step by step.

I don’t know if you’re interested, but some features get included in the official app, maybe you could think about including this feature, but it’s up to you.

Things I will try to do:

• making it more comfortable for mobile phone users by changing the text size by zooming out
  • finding a better solution for sharing the .apk file
  • [DONE] solving the error: ERR_CLEARTEXT_NOT_PERMITTED

If you’re German and interested in the changelog and the source code look at the article about it on my website:

Download Link:

Thanks!

4 Likes

Congratulations on “one of your first apps”. :smiley:

I do not need it, but I would like to give you some Feedback (without looking at the app).

I really like the idea of an android logviewer app. I’ll test once i am home.

I agree with @christoph_wempe that integrating it into the official app would be ideal.
Then your efforts will have the highest range.

Nice app. An option for the text size would be great. Unless I missed it.
Please apply to add it to the official app

Unfortunately not working for me. Could the reason be that frontail is running on my OH server?

Same applies to me

Thanks for your feedback!

• Yes, I know. That’s how I access the log. I simply used a WebView to open the website inside the app.
  • I have published my code in Git Gists. What can I do with a repository. What are the advantages?
  • In my text above I wrote, that the app manager could think about integrating it. I’ve already wrote with @mueller-ma, but he doesn’t think, that it’s a good idea.
  • Sorry, i forget them. Screenshots will follow very soon!

That’s the problem.

I wanted to add this feature but in the openHAB LogViewer you generally can’t change it (even on the pc, it’s the same website).
To include it in the app, the feature has to be added by the openHAB team to the website, I’m sorry!

The only thing I could try is to zoom out a bit.

@stefaanbolle
Tried to solve the problem.
Please test it again with the new download link…

great, now it works for me. thanks for this nice app!

1 Like

Nice, I’m glad to hear that.
More updates will follow.

You can publish the full source code, not just the java code. This makes it possible for everyone to build the app from source. Please also add a free software license, so people are allowed to contribute to your app.

Actually I don’t think looking through log files on a smart phone is something people want to do. But feel free to open a PR to implement this. If there are enough supporter, this should get merged.

Which website are you going to access to get the log file?

1 Like

Thanks for your explanations and tips.

I’m just using the “openHAB 2 Log Viewer” that you can access via the dashboard (default port 9001).