Looking for Ideas or Suggestions - Heating

Has anyone found a good solution to reducing cool spots around their house? I live in a two and a half storey house, where the attic space would normally be I have two bedrooms and a landing space. This is how the house was built from new, there is a small attic above.
The two bedrooms at the top of the house are always about 2 degrees cooler than the rest of the house.

I was wondering if anyone else had something similar and found a way to help reduce the temperature difference?

My heating system has Z-Wave TRV’s, Thermostats and Boiler Control.

I think you need to describe your system more. If the upstairs rooms have TRVs, I would assume that they would take are of the difference by regulating heat in those rooms. That’s the nice thing about having room-based temperature control. So, I’m guessing that’s not the case.

The issue is more down to how best to approach automating the resolution. Both Thermostats have a wake up interval of 15 minutes, so can update them in a reasonable time. However the TRV’s are set to their minimum wake up interval, which is 30 minutes.

So what this means for me at the moment is that I can update the relevant setpoint(s) for the TRV’s but they can take up to 30 minutes before they are changed and then I need to fire up the boiler to generate the heat needed. I can control the boiler separately, but the Thermostats could potentially override. Which means there are plenty of moving parts in the mix.

I’m guessing that your upstairs thermostat is in the landing area, in which case the ambient temperature might be higher than in the bedrooms due to heat rising from downstairs.

If that’s the case, then what you might want to do is put temperature sensors in the individual bedrooms. When the rooms start to cool down, you can bump up the setpoint on the upstairs thermostat pre-emptively to trigger the boiler early. Then when the rooms reach the ideal temperature, reset the upstairs thermostat to turn off the TRVs and boiler.

Basically, supplement/override the thermostat’s temperature sensor with readings where you need them.

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.