Looking for Outdoor Wifi-Switch with Temp-Sensor (Sonoff?)

Hi,
i want to install some Wifi-Switches like Sonoff for outdoor use.

Would be great, if i can measure temp and humidity also.

I want to heat my glass house for keeping it above 0°C in the winter and to power on/off some heating cables for my palms and bananas.

For the wifi switch to heat the palms i can use the outdoor sensor on my wall, this is from my heating pump and i can read it out with openhab. But i don´t have a temp/hum sensor in my glass house, i only have a power outlet there, yet.

I know the outdoor waterproof case for the simple sonoff switch. But what about the temp-sensor-sonoff? Will it fit there also? Can i drill a hole in the casing and seal it with hot glue? Will this work? It has to be waterproof.

Can i use a temp-humidity sensor inside my glass house, when there is very high humidity? I know waterproof temp sensors, but what about waterproof humidity sensors?

If it was me, because it’s cheap and in the spirit of DIY, I would certainly try it. I’ve got a couple of Sonoff Basics that I’ve attached a DHT22 to, but use them indoors.

It will probably work in a glass house/greenhouse, but will probably not be very robust. Make sure the Basic is powered through an appropriate RCD. At your risk!

Does your WiFi reach the glass house? Do you have other protocols running with openHAB? Zigbee? Z-Wave? There’s certainly more robust sensors and actuators available than using a Sonoff (though not as cheap…)

How about a Waterproof casing?

Yes, i know that, but only for a sonoff basic. If i use it with a sonoff th, i will have to seal the additional hole for the temp sensor.

I’m not sure there will be another way if you want to use a Sonoff - the sensor will have to be outside of the waterproof box. But as you say, you could use hot glue, or maybe bathroom silicone sealant to seal the hole…

1 Like

Note that the Sonoff TH is larger then the Basic!

Use a Sonoff basic and a BME280. You can use the serial pins for I2C if you disable the serial port. BME28x sensors are way more robust than the DHT ones, just protect it from having water land directly on it. Check the datasheet but if I recall correctly they are ok for over a year in humidity >80% where the DHT’s aren’t.