Looking for Smart Sound Generator (for doorbell)

Hello

I own a Doorbird Video System and it is integrated into OH successfully.
My plan was to use my Alexa setup (in ceiling + class d + speaker for multiroom) to play an alarm sound if someone rings.
This works but i get a huge delay of around 7-10 s until the sound is played.
The item responds immediately but alexa seems to take some time to play the sound.

Unfortunately i can only find setups with a speaker and they are quite bulky.
I need some kind of sound generator with wifi.
I’d like to hide it in the ceiling as well and just use a Y-Jack to connect it to my class d amp.

do you have any idea how i could achieve this easily?

Thank you!

Best regards

Jonas

I would use a cheap wifi switch (like sonoff) and let that one switch my ordinary doorbell. Cheap and intuitive.

Chromecast audio does that fit the bill? I do a similar thing with google home minis and they give around 1-2 second delay as a guess as I have never measured it.

1 Like

thanks for your replies!

what do you do with the chromecast? Is there also a channel for an “alarm sound” or anything like that?
Thank you

Looking into the binding docs reveals no “Alarm sound” channel, however the playURI channel should fit in order to play a sound file.

1 Like

Correct, it is fully local and does not have a big delay. I do it this way as I can turn the volume down or off when the Baby is asleep. Our phones get push notifications when the doorbell is disabled. If the amp has a HDMI input you could use any chromecast or the $25 clones, but the audio version has a 3.5mm jack but it appears these are now discontinued. What used to cost $30 on sale now people are scalping second hand units online for $200.

(35) How to turn a Chromecast into a Chromecast Audio for under $6 - YouTube

1 Like

thank you!

I’ll try the chromecast audio as it fits my demands perfectly.
Found some for 45 € on ebay which is ok for me.

Best regards

Jonas

Hello

I got the cc audio now and added it as a thing already.
can you tell me how to achieve that if i have a sound file on my local drive?
Thank you!

Place the file in the static html folder.
playURI is an advanced channel, so tick show advanced.

2 Likes

Thank you for your quick response. So the uri would be: http://ipadress:port/nameoffile.mp3
?
EDIT:
Got it.
The solution is:
http://192.168.1.100:8080/static/Doorbell-ring-ding-dong-sound.mp3

1 Like

Damn.
The Sound is played immediately, after the item changes.
Unfortunately i seem to have some issues with the doorbird binding.
it can take up to 10 seconds sometimes until the item gets refreshed although my doorbird is connected via ethernet :frowning:

The ipcamera binding has some of the doorbird API implemented, Since I dont own one I have no idea the state of the binding with those cameras since the dedicated binding was created and probably most people are using that way instead. The other suggestion would be to use the output of the doorbird to short out any door/window sensors that work in openHAB to trigger things with.

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.